S&W 6926

Morgan

Looking into the purchase of a used S&W 6926 for a friend. Any experience, caveats?

What's a fair price for one in VG/EX condition?

Chris McDermott

S&W 6926????

Do your perhaps mean a 629-6 = S&W Stainless Steel N-frame 44 Magnum? Good gun with all of the crane & bolt cut upgrades that can take a steady diet of the 240 grain bullets and occasional use of the heavy 300 grain bullets without getting battered loose as the early Model 29's did. I'd be willing to pay $350-$375 if I wanted a used shooter; but I'm a .41 Magnum fan.

Morgan

Heh, heh. When I heard 6926 I said "huh?", too. "Now where the hell did I put my Smith & Wesson Decoder Ring?"

I'm told by the seller (I haven't seen it yet) its basically the 6906, but with a smaller decocker/safety.

So how about the 6906? Any info on that?

Prof

I had a S&W 6906. Sold it and sorry I did. It's an excellent semi-auto, equal to its sibling the 3913 (except fatter in the grip --- double-column mag). Fit my hand perfectly and was very reliable.

Morgan

Thanks, Prof.

I've done some digging and can't seem to find any record of a 6926. Even found a review of the 69xx series at www.recguns.com/IIIC2r5.html , but no mention of 6926.

I've messaged the owner for more info. Maybe its a rare model..?

I'll post what I find.

Benton Quest

In keeping with the elusive code of Smith and Wessons...The first 2 digits mean its a high capacity, compact 9 mm. The 4 digit "6" means that it is made of stainless steel, although S&W strayed on this one and made it an alloy frame. The itch here is the "2" in the 3rd position. This used to mean, Normal barrel length, frame mounted decocker (ala FBI requested Sig&Wesson, or Smith&Sauer if you please) Abnormal barrel length and frame mounted de-cocler would earn a "7" in the third position (ex. 1076). To answer your question....I do not think they ever made that variant as the frame mounted de-cocker turned out to be somewhat troublesome for S&W.

Morgan

Well, I'm informed it IS the frame-mounted decocker model.

Now, does that mean is should be avoided as a potentially troublesome beast, or snapped up as a rare varient? It has to be reliable, or there's no way in hell I'd give it to anyone.

Bushwhacker

Morgan, I have a 6906 and it has never failed me, I carry it as my off duty weapon. Has never even Hic-uped once. Now the 6926 I'd like to see.

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza

Benton Quest

Wow...I would think the gun would have to be rare. I would not worry about the frame mounted de-cocker's reliability. Most of the problems that S&W encountered with this set-up was based on the imfamous FBI 1076 model. The problems were a result of specific bureau specifications that required a special hammer with a special trigger; Smith advised that they could have one or the other, but not both as it would cause problems. Apparently, the FBI spec'ed out the gun the way that they demanded it....and low and behold they had problems. These problems were later corrected on a case-by-case basis at the Performance Center. No such problems have erupted since then, although it is a rather rare variant. Unfortunately, the entire debacle left a bad taste in everybody's mouth, the guns didn't sell well, and were eventually yanked from the line.

I personally own a 1026 with a frame mounted de-cocker and have had no problems with it. In fact, I think that it is rather cool as I am a big Sig-Sauer fan.

If the price is right and you're in the market for a hi-cap midget 9, I'd jump on it. You'll probably be the only one on your block to have one.

Good luck.

Tecolote

During S&W's gun of the week period all sort of uncatalogued models came into existence. Not even the sales reps could keep track. In addition to the 1076 there were frame mounted decocker versions of the 6906, 5906 and their 40SW pistol ( I forget the model number). On of my buddies bought a 40SW decocker, stainless slide and frame. The decocker lever snapped after a few thousand rounds. He was unable to get a replacement from SW so his gunsmith made a replacement. before buying I would find out if you can get a replacement for the decocker lever. Other than that, it's a fine pistol. It should be as reliable and accurate as the 6906.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited July 15, 2000).]

jsnpac4

i have a 6926i its a used police gun and its a great gun. i myself was woundering if it would handle +p loads. i assume so but want to be sure first. any help would be great. accurate gun though. highley recomend

Bart Noir

Welcome to TFL.

Nice job in unearthing a 9-year old unsolved mystery :eek:

So what is this "6926i" ? Did you intend the "i" on the model number?

Really, I am curious and will be the 3rd or 4th to admit that I don't know everything.

What is a 6926? I don't think it is a version of the .44 Magnum revolver since then your question about +P loads would not apply. Likely it is a version of the 6906 which is one sweet little autoloader. If so, please tell us the type of safety, if any. Is it double action only?

If it is a version of the 9-mill pistols than you can fire lots on +P in it. I do in mine!

Bart Noir

jaysouth

Cole Distributing, Scottsville, KY had some 6926s a month or so ago. They are currently advertising 5926s. Photos on their website and gunbroker (gcoledistributing) showed frame mounted decockers on both models.

Both guns are/were under $400.

Yes, the alluminium alloy 3d generation Smith autos will handle lots and lots of +P+ ammo. Many many thousands without measurable wear.