S&W 6906

Kevin_d77

What would one of these puppies go for? It's a stainless version w 2 mags I believe. A coworker has 2 and wants to sell one. Haven't seen it yet so not sure of the exact condition

Last edited:

carguychris

Short answer:

$250 for an ugly but shootable "beater" up to $500-$550 LNIB. Most trade in the $350+/- range.

Longer answer:

There are 4 basic variations of the Model 6906, in order of decreasing age and roughly increasing desirability:
  1. Square trigger guard, vertical blade rear sight
  2. Square trigger guard, slanted Novak Lo-Mount rear sight
  3. Round trigger guard, Novak rear sight, silver-color flash chrome trigger, silver-color flash chrome solid-sided hammer (last two also used on all earlier guns)
  4. Same as #3 but with black MIM trigger and black MIM "skeletonized" or "cutaway" hammer
The early vertical blade rear sight is OK but the Novak is better and has more aftermarket replacement options (slide dovetails are different sizes so they don't interchange).

The square trigger guard does not fit in all holsters and is ugly to boot. :(

The later MIM hammer and trigger yield a better out-of-the-box trigger pull, particularly DA, and some S&W pistol fans prefer them; yes, you read that right, this is an instance where shooters think MIM is actually better. :cool:

The later pistols are worth more, and you should consider picking one if your friend lets you choose. :)

[EDIT] Forgot to mention... 14/15rd S&W 59-series and Marlin Camp 9 Carbine mags work perfectly in these pistols, although they project below the grip.

Last edited:

Kevin_d77

Wow. Perfect info. Told him to take some pics of it for me to check it out.

I'll report what I see when I see it!

Ozzieman

One other addition to carguys input. You really want to try the trigger in single and double action to see if it’s to your liking.. In double it’s a long throw and in single you have to pull the trigger a foot before you hit the release of the sear. Their triggers simply put can bad.
I have a 3906, one of the last versions built and the gun will feed beer cans if you can get them in the magazine. But in double action the trigger is incased in poor quality concrete
Mine was new in the box, I got it from an estate sale for 350 last year. I felt it was a very good buy.

KnotRight

Per Blue Book Value:

MODEL 6906 COMPACT STAINLESS

Add to Collection

9mm Para. cal., stainless steel variation of the Model 6904, 26 1/2 oz. Mfg. 1989-1999.

View Historic Prices

Grading / price

100% 585

98% 470

95% 380

90% 320

80% 275

70% 235

60% 200

Kevin_d77

It's really going to be a range toy so I'm not tooooo terribly concerned with the DA trigger but I will def check it out!

PeterGunn

The square trigger guard does not fit in all holsters and is ugly to boot.

I have a early 6906 (late 80s manufacture). It was originally issued to the New Hampshire State Police as that was their carry sidearm for a while. Why did I opt for an early model? I happen to think the square trigger guard not only gives the gives the pistol some character, but gives the shooter another place to place my weak/support hand forefinger should I choose to do so.

BTW... it also matches the 4506 I have, again with the square guard. Opinions in the area of aesthetics are exactly that... opinions. To each his own.

clang

FYI - The 6906 has a stainless steel slide and an aluminum alloy frame. Most 3rd Gen S&W Autos that end in 6 are all stainless steel, but the 6906 is the one exception. I think it is because the 6906 was released before S&W standardized their numbering nomenclature for 3rd gen pistols, and the 2nd Gen nomenclature was carried over 669>>>6906

dgludwig

I don't think the op is too concerned about the shape of the trigger guard on the Model 6906 but, because the issue has already been broached, I feel compelled to add my opinion to the discussion: I have the older model with the "squared" guard but I agree with carguychris-imo, it is ugly. Subjective opinions aside, third generation Smiths are some of the best built, most reliable, sturdiest semi-auto pistols ever made. And probably the most under-rated and unappreciated ones too.

Kevin_d77

Well I ended up buying the CZ Compact, Canik C100 clone instead. Semi-impulse buy so the S&W is on hold. I'm not sure he REALLY wanted to sell as much as his wife didn't want him having two. He has yet to bring the pics for me but if he changes his mind I'm sure I will still bite!

Thanks for the info!

745SW

I rather like the squared look.:) Perhaps the area of the trigger guard that has a good amount of meat/metal I would call the chin may look better with a reduction. Still not really worth changing IMO.

Attachments

• S&W,SquareTriggerGuard.jpg
    S&W,SquareTriggerGuard.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 120

presspics

Grab it if you can. The 6906 is utter perfection..One of the greatest 9mm pistols ever made. Get a late model and you will never want to let it go.

Steve in PA

My 6906 was my first off-duty carry gun. Very accurate, never had any complaints or issues. I still have the 6906, although it is now my wife's bed side firearm.

745SW

In all the years I’ve had S&W’s no one has ever commented that it or any part of it looked ugly/fugly. I don’t know what I would say or do.:confused::eek::confused:

Deaf Smith

Good enough Steve!

I have a DAO 6949 version sleeping in the safe.

Got it many years ago.

Of course I have Glocks and that is what I use but I've always like the 6900 series guns.

They will do quite fine.

Deaf

Skans

I'll take a guess before looking at what others posted. I think this is the one with the alloy frame, correct? If it has the alloy frame, they tend to show a good bit of wear, but they function fine.

My guess is in good condition with slight holster wear, $375

wpsdlrg

I just bought a 6906 today. I'd say very close to 90 % condition. I paid $299 (plus tax). However, the gun came without any magazine(s). (Not a problem for me as I have plenty on hand already.)

Sleuth

FYI, the 6906 was the issue gun for U.S. Customs Investigations from the early/mid 80's until 1998 or so. It was selected on one criteria - reliability. It was more reliable than any other 'compact' 9mm of it's day.
We fired thousands of rounds through them, with rare stoppages. I had the only one that ever broke (to my knowledge) - after firing a perfect score for qualification, I found the frame had cracked. (At the time I was the lead firearms instructor at our academy, with the keys to the ammo bunker.) I stuck a new frame under the slide, and shot it a whole bunch more.

My wife liked it so much, she bought one for her carry gun.