S&W 686

ms6852

Pulled the trigger on a new revolver for me that I will carry instead of the 1911. Just had an itch and I scratched it. Had wanted one for years but were priced to high for my liking. Brownells had a sale on it I got it for $699 plus a rebate. She makes me giggle like a little kid.
https://imgur.com/0BqZlj7

Last edited:

ms6852

Yes it is, and a 7-shot. It weighs and feels about the same to me as carrying my full size 1911. Waiting on a holster for it right now from Black Hills leather.
Im a using a generic holster that fits autos and revolvers.

ms6852

No it is a 7 shot, I do have a 6 shot but it has the 6" barrel. It is the no dash I bought in 1980 something.

AK103K

I have both 6 and 7 shot 2.5" versions. Great shooters and lots of fun.

I still keep finding live rounds in the brass pile on the ground when Im picking them up after shooting the 7 shooter though. :)

603Country

I also bought a 686 Plus. 4 inch barrel. The grandkids and I were putting a lot of rounds through my Python, so I decided to buy a 686 to take all that abuse. I really like the 686. Versus the Python, I like the 686 grip a bit better, and the newer sights. The Python has the better hammer and trigger pull (just my opinion) and is prettier. So, I had a gunsmith smooth out the 686 single action trigger pull, and it’s as good as the Python now, though the Python has the better double action - better in that it’s longer and stacks up predictably just before it breaks. The 686, to me, so far, has a more abrupt DA break, so I suppose it’ll take some getting used to.

If I had one shot, single action, at 20 yards, for all the money, I really don’t know which one to grab. Probably the 686, due to the better sights.

ms6852

I have both 6 and 7 shot 2.5" versions. Great shooters and lots of fun.

I still keep finding live rounds in the brass pile on the ground when Im picking them up after shooting the 7 shooter though. :)
Thats funny. I carried the gun for 3 days before I realized my speed loaders were only 6 round loaders.

603Country

Man, I’m so glad i’m not the only guy that bought 6 shot speed loaders for a 7 shot revolver. I don’t feel so bad now. :D

AK103K

HKS makes 7 rounders. If you like the Safariland loaders (I prefer them), youre SOL.

The HKS work fine though.

MrBorland

Speedloaders aren’t a talisman. You need to use them frequently and regularly to gain proficiency. A mismatch should’ve been discovered before you put your full faith in your new gear. Regardless, it’d be a good idea to practice your reloads a bunch from this point on.

ms6852

I too have a Colt Python but in all honesty I feel that my 686 has the better trigger. Now remember that I bought mine more than 30 years ago and since I shoot it more the double action on it is butter. Not talking the Colt down but I guess I levitated towards the 686 because it was easier to work the cylinder as a lefty over the Colt and the sights are better.

ms6852

Man, I’m so glad i’m not the only guy that bought 6 shot speed loaders for a 7 shot revolver. I don’t feel so bad now. :D
The six shot speed loaders I had were purchased over 30 years ago for my 686 with the 6" barrel, not the one I just purchased. This is a seven shot so I use the speed strips.