S&W 686

Vek

I'm looking hard at two of these for my dad and I. They are (I assume) police trade-in and we'd have to get them through an FFL holder. 4" barrel, full underlug. They look sweet, and are allegedly in good shape. Thoughts on the 686?

Also, how much should one expect to pay the local FFL guy for his services for the purchase of two of these? Will they charge per gun or per transaction?

Thanks

Chad Young

Politics aside, the S&W 686 is possibly the best value in .357 Magnum revolvers out there. Their triggers are dandy and they hold up well. I personally went with a Ruger GP-161 for political reasons and for the fact that Rugers hold up better in the long term when using stout loads (I handload my .357 rounds).

Guy B. Meredith

The FFL charges seem to be all over the map; from $15 at a Mom and Pop pawn shot to 10% of gun price. The 686 is a great buy and a good choice if you decide to get into action handgun competition such as ICORE (International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts), IDPA or IPSC. The 686 normally has a smooth trigger and can be converted to moonclips.

Monkeyleg

Vek, I've had a 586 for twenty years, and it's a workhorse of a gun. I've shot and fondled the 686's, but never ponied up the cash for one. I was really tempted at the last gun show to buy one from a private seller. It was a 6", scoped and in perfect shape for $450. If I were you, I'd check some prices online to get a sense of what is fair. If you find one privately but for whatever reason (out-of-state sale, etc) need to utilize the services of an FFL for a transfer, $20 or so is a fair price.

Dick

rock_jock

Do a search on 357's and 686's on this board. There are about a hundred previous posts. I've haad my 686 4" for about three years. I have several handguns, but the 686 is the coolest in terms of just plain feel and "wow" appeal.

mikey357

Much is made of the Ruger GP100's SUPPOSED durability advantage over the S&W L-frames...personally, I don't see it that way AT ALL. I've had a Model 586(686's blued brother) since around '82 or '83...its digested somewhere around 35,000 rounds, been "dry-fired" innumerable times AND IS JUST NOW GETTING "BROKEN IN!!!" The blue needs to be re-done, but...kinda like a Timex, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!!! I've got several 686's as well, but since they are all NEWER than the 586, none have the impressive round-count of the blued gun...having said that, I FIRMLY BELIEVE that ANYONE will be VERY well-served by a 686!!! I've never had any problem out of any of mine...and don't anticipate any, either!!! FFL charges in my "neck of the woods" run from $10.00 to $50.00-!!!, with most being around $20.00 to $30.00, FWIW. Good Luck, and let us know how they work out!!!....mikey357

bullseye

I've got the 686+. Probably the most accurate and fun to shoot gun I own. I really like having that extra round. Now let me see, did I fire 6 shots or 7? Seems like in all this confusion, I forgot. So the question is, Do you feel lucky, punk?

Blue Heeler

686 is The Universal Soldier.I bought mine new about four years ago.Since then I have improved it's accuracy by lapping the crown,opening up the forcing cone,and adjusting the cylinder frame gap to just over 3 thou.At 50 yards it is as accurate as any custom .38 (though it does require a slightly hotter load).Because I use it as a target shooter in the FBI Combat Match,it has a 6in barrel.I also have one with a two and a half inch barrel,and gave it the same treatment--both are gems that I intend to keep.

Karsten

Vek,
I shot a SS 686 for 5 years in competion. Changed grips, springs, added a trigger stop, barrel wieght, Ultra dot scope and I forget what else. I reloaded everything from light action pistol .38's to hardball PIN .357 loads. You can't go wrong with a 586 or a 686, even being politicaly INCORRECT....they are a Da*n good gun. It was a Stainless, 6 inch and she did me right. I also have a Model 19 with a 2 inch barrel, don't stand in front of it while breaking and entering...bad mistake. My 686 ate problably close to 30,000 rounds plus with out a flaw. BY THEM if you can get a deal. As for the FFL, work it out in advance. The more business you do the better the deal. I feel if you are getting a better deal than you can locally, after paying the shipping and the FFL...your getting a deal. Then again if you can't find what you want locally, TO COIN AN OLD ADDAGE....YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY.

Good luck with your purchase

Karsten

Bottom Gun

The 586/686 was designed for the guys who were shooting their Model 19's and 66's loose with a steady diet of hot loads, but didn't want to go to an 'N' frame.

My 4" round butt is rugged, yet very smooth and accurate. Mine is a former Customs Service gun and is marked CS-1 inside the crane. If anyone has any historical info on these, I'd sure appreciate knowing it.

I doubt that the Rugers are any more durable than the 586/686 and I've yet to see a Ruger shoot as well these guns do.

Since you are looking at used guns, they are pre-sellout guns. I'd jump on them. You won't find a better revolver.

My humble opinion.

Bottom Gun

johnnybravo

Vek,
I bought a match tuned 6" 686 from the original owner about 8 years ago. Between him and I, there's about 100,000 rounds through it, plus innumerable dry firings. It's still one of my primary competition guns, very accurate and smooth.

I liked it so well, I added a 2.5" model. In fact, I liked them both so well, I just added the 4" model last month. It's really well balanced. I plan on using it in IDPA this summer.

The best part about stainless guns, besides their appearance, is that they clean up a lot easier. Wipe them down with some Nevr-Dull, and they clean right up. Run some Nevr-Dull through the chambers and bore on an old brush, it'll clean those too. Don't use Nevr-Dull on blued guns though, it'll take the bluing off. (Don't ask how I know.) :D

Vek

Thanks for the thoughts. At this point it's a matter of which with a 4" barrel (preferably full lug) falls into my lap easiest, be it a 586 (would look sweet with a nicely finished wood grip), 686, GP-100 (gp-141/kgp-141 or 140) or security six. Hell, I think I'd be alright with a 581 or 681. Along that line, do these (581/681) have a replaceable front sight?

Thanks again, gents. I gather that a prodigious diet of full-boogie stuff is not harmful to the 586/686.

---