S&W 686 trigger question

KITT

I just bought a S&W 686-3 with the 2" barrel. Does anyone know what kind of metal the trigger and hammer are made of? It does not look like stainless... looks like some kind of pot metal. Thanks for any info.

C.R.Sam

My 686-3 had stainless trigger and hammer.....verified by S&W. Suprisingly the sear held up longer than the rest of the gun. Plum wore it out.

Sam

Dfariswheel

S&W stainless guns use carbon steel, casehardened hammers and triggers. Earlier guns had the hammer and trigger hard chrome plated, late guns use color casehardening.

Some model S&W revolvers, (VERY early model 60's), had stainless steel parts, but S&W decided that carbon steel would last longer.
S&W always called the early plated parts "stainless" which since hard chrome doesn't "Stain", is correct.

No 686's had real stainless steel hammers or triggers.

VictorLouis

I agree. I feel that Sam spoke with an employee with marketing savvy.;) My smith also showed me how the plated parts suck-up the cold blue after, for instance, a hammer-bob.

KITT

Thanks for the info...I really have taken a liking to this handgun and I wanted to know that it was going to hold up in the long run.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If it is not worked on, it will last longer than you will.

If the owner has read too many gunzine articles on DIY trigger jobs, it may get way up to one shot.

Jim