S&W 686 SSR

Deputy Dog

I have one of these on down payment, Does anyone have one and can you give me any insight on them? I picked it up off the shelf, I am usually not a wheel gunner, but man! The grip, the balance the DA trigger pull, the SA trigger press and fit and finish are incredible... Any help or info you can give me would be greatly appreciated....

TYIA,

DD

MrBorland

I own a standard 686, but I've shot the SSR before.

IMO, the SSR's a fine gun, and if I wanted something (slightly) more tuned than a standard 686, but didn't want the hassle of sending a standard 686 out to a gunsmith, I'd opt for the SSR.

IMO, the interchangeable front sight is the single biggest upgrade, and it alone likely costs the price difference to have a standard 686 upgraded to interchangeable sights. The first upgrade I'd make, though, is to replace the factory red ramp with either a fiber optic, Patridge or gold bead.

Aside from that, I don't recall the one I shot being any more accurate or having a much better trigger than a standard 686, and S&Ws chamfering is very conservative (you have to look hard to see it). The partial lug lightens the entire gun a bit, but the lighter muzzle also jumps a bit more under recoil.

All said, though, the best gun in the world is the one you enjoy shooting the most, so it sounds like you may have found a gem! Good luck - we'll expect pics & a range report soon ! :D

DennisE

I've owned 2 of them they handle well and are accurate and reliable. I'd probably still have one but I got hooked on Bisley SAs. Dennis

mavracer

Just picked one up monday, took it shooting today. All I can say is wow great trigger and man will it shoot. I put 5 rounds in a 10" group offhand at 100 yards.

roaddog28

Hi,
Congrats on your new 686ssr. I own a standard 686-2 4 inch and to me the biggest difference is the lack of the added weight on the front of the barrel. From what I know the 686ssr was designed by S&W for IDPA competition which the revolver does well at. Of course a lot depends on the shooter but the 686ssr is kind of the standard in IDPA in Stock Service Revolver competition.
Hope this helps.
Howard

Deputy Dog

Thank you gentlemen fro the info, greatly appreciated. All helpful and more input is always welcome. Keep it rolling in please.

Thank you,
DD

psyshack

I bought my wife a 60 Pro. And it's a great little pistol!

I bought myself a 686P 4". I just couldn't justify the greater expense at the time for the SSR. But man O man is the 60 Pro a sweet shoot, minus the trigger. And even after a full house trigger job it's now only as good as my stock 686P. And with a full house trigger job I think the 686P will be as good if not better than a SSR.

Bottom line,,, you can't go wrong with any of the current or past L frame's. :D

Enjoy your new revolver!!!!!