S & W 686 question

Laker

My local shop has a 686 that I've been looking at. It's in real nice shape and the price is decent. It has a 6 inch barrel installed and also has a 4 inch barrel with it. I think I'd be more comfortable with the 4. What kind of a job is it to change barrels? I didn't talk to their smith, but the salseman thought it would be best left to him.Haven't yet negociated the swap into the purchase if I decide to bring it home. Also what are you 686 owners opinion of this gun. It is a .357. Thanks

gb_in_ga

A> 686's are nice revolvers. I've got a 4" one in my bedside drawer, it's my nighttime something goes "bump" sleepy-grab. Out in the woods it gets loaded up with stout 180 gr LFN handloads as a 4 legged threat stopper.

B> Changing the barrel on a 686 is a shop job.

fairview mick

686 question

I don't know about changing bbls, but I've owned three of these sweethearts, and use it for my "Bullseye" gun in league shooting. I shoot everything from reloaded wad cutters, .std .38, .38 +P and real hot .357 mag loads. It is a super gun with a great trigger straight from the factory.
That's about all I can say. If you care for this, it will most likely outlast you and you kids!!!!!
Mickey

Gun 4 Fun

I love L-frames. The barrel swap is definately a shop job that requires special tools for holding the frame and another for turning the barrel. While you can buy these at Brownell's, they will cost a lot more than simply having the barrel swap done.
David Clements at Clements Custom Guns can do the job for a very reasonable price, and he's a top rated gunsmith.
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

Flatbush Harry

I've got a 686+ (7-shot) with a 4" bbl that I love. I've used S&Ws for more than 30 years in J, K, L and N frames...never had a bit of trouble. My preferences are for a 6/6-1/2" bbl for .44mag, 4" for L and K frames, 3" for J frames, though I like the hammerless 2-1/8" 640something (J frame) for CCW. I prefer 1911s for personal defense...thankfully, I've never needed a field test. In general, if I think I'm going to find myself in place where a CCW is desirable, I don't go. YMMV.

Cheers,

Howard

Laker

Thanks for the replies so far from owners. The barrel swap would be done by a pro as everyone has suggested. If I can,t get it done as part of the purchase, any idea as to what it would cost? What would be resale value of the 6 inch compensated barrel that's currently on it if I would decide to sell it? By the way it has walnut target grips on it and a service(?) hammer and trigger. Asking price $425. Thanks

vytoland

keep the 6 inch barrel...i have a S&W 686-4pp (.357 magnum, fourth generation, 6 inch ported barrel). i picked it up used in august and it handles and fires like a dream. it was in excellant condition and priced at $434.

here are some things to check out on a used gun:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/used_handgun.htm

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/articles/revolvercheckout.html

some history on S&W model 686

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=158055

if everything checks out and this 686 looks good.....GET IT......good luck

when you get that prize back home,,,,,,,,remember , pics on this forum are mandatory....got to see those walnut grips!!!

stevieboy

If I were you I'd shoot it some with the 6" barrel before deciding whether to change it. I have a 6 incher and I love it.

Jeff #111

I own a 686+ w/ 4" barrel. Liked it so much that a couple years later ,when I came across a 586 w/6" barrel, I bought that one as well. So now I own one of each. You should do the same. :D

Laker

One of each? Great suggestion! I also had thought of the idea of shooting it the way it is for a while before making and decisions unless the dealer will do the swap at the time of purchase with no cost. Hopefully I'll be able to get back there this Saturday to haggle a bit. Thanks guys.

Que

I'd stick with the 6 inch barrel. The 686 really performs beautifully with that length. I love the balance. I have a 686 with a 2.5" barrel, one with a 5 inch barrel, and have owned one with and 8 3/8" barrel, and the 6 inch is my favorite. I also have a 586 and 581 with four inch barrels and they are fine guns, but the 6" really is special.

As to what I think of the 686, I think that overall they are the best revolver going. Some don't like the full underlug, but then I have my 1/2 underlug 5 inch 686 which feels very different.

BTW, if the gun isn't for carry I see no reason not to go with the 6 inch. If the gun was for carry a four inch wouldn't be my choice anyway.

BarkSlayer

I just bought a new 686 4" barrel about two weeks ago and I love it! So much so, that I may go back and get the 686 6" barrel too...just because. They're that good.

BarkSlayer

Laker...I bought it out of the display case at Cleland's on Airport Highway, day after Thanksgiving. I was in the range there last Sunday and they had another at that time - a 6" barrel. I couldn't decide between the 4" or the 6" - tough call. I can see myself ending up with both.

Laker

Thanks BS. I've got to get in there one of these days. Don't live there but work in Finkburg every day. The one I've been looking at is south of there nearer to where I live.

liviussteven

6" or 8"

i'm on the verg of buying a 686... i think i want the 8" but have not been able to read much about how people like it.. vs the 6 and 4...
any comments would be appreciated

Master Blaster

My 4" 686+ is best, the best balance the best trigger, My 6" 6 shot 686 is next on my list.

There is just something about the balance of the 4" that is perfect.

BarkSlayer

livi...I was facing the same choice you are a few weeks ago and I love my 686 4" barrel. I felt it was balanced better than the 6" but that too is an excellent gun. Honestly, I want them both. I'll probably get the 686 6" after the 617 6" which is next.