S & W 686 plus

carguychris

What barrel length would you perfer? [sic]
For what? ;)

FWIW the advantage of the 3" model over the 2-1/2" version is that the 3" model has a full-length ejector rod. The 2-1/2" gun has a "shorty" rod that does not have enough travel to fully eject a .357Mag case from the cylinder. That said, if you eject the cases with the muzzle pointed upwards, they will almost always fall clear by gravity regardless of the ejector rod length; however, the full-length rod is beneficial if a case bulges or splits, causing it to get stuck.

NoSecondBest

I have a 6" and I consider it the best choice. Why? It's not a concealed carry gun (at least not for me, I have other guns for that), I don't see any advantage of a shorter barrel, my competition experience for the last thirty years tells me I can shoot a longer barrel (sight radius) better for hunting. In my mind this gun is a hunting gun and I purchased it for that reason. FYI, I have/had a 586 and 686 and all had the 6"bbl.

TrueTexan

Have both a 6" and a 3 " the 3" is for CCW the 6" is for fun at the range. Just depends on what you want to use it for, select the barrel length.

CosmicCoder

I have a 4" 686+ and love it - it has become my favorite handgun to shoot. My son has a 6" 686 which I found to be too muzzle heavy in my hand and not as balanced as my 4".

As carguychris said it also depends upon your intended use. My primary use is as a trail/woods/hiking/range gun here in Wyoming and the 4" is definitely the best choice for that regimen.

The 6" or longer would be a better choice if you are intending to use it for hunting and/or target shooting. The 6" is more unwieldy to draw and pack around on your hip in the woods than the 4".

I would only consider the 2-1/2" and 3" if SD concealed carry was my primary usage but the shorter barrel will not get the most out of the .357 Mag and the muzzle flash and report will be something to consider - especially at night and in a closed room. The 4" can also be carried OWB for SD in the winter when it is easier to conceal.

Imo, the 4" is the best all around choice.

You need to decide if you want a bit more power down range. If so, then 4 inch.
You need to decide if carrying a 4 inch pokes the side a bit much when seated and carrying in a belted holster, then 3 inch.
Never was a fan of these types of questions, too open ended when the OP doesn't explain much.

bikerbill

I have a 4-inch, both for ease of handling and esthetics ... I think it's the best looking of the model line ... it's probably the one gun in my collection I will never sell or trade ... a marvelous piece of machinery ...

AK103K

Ive been lusting after a 2.5" for awhile now. :)

I have a 4" 620, and since they dont make a 2.5" version of it (at least Ive never seen one), the 686 will have to do.

7 shot revolvers take a little getting used to. I still keep finding live rounds on the ground with my empties. Habit I guess. :)

carguychris

Slight sidetrack...

AK103K said:
I have a 4" 620, and since they dont make a 2.5" version of it (at least Ive never seen one)...
AFAIK the Model 620 was only sold in a single configuration: 4"bbl, 7-shot, red-ramp front sight, white-outline rear sight, RB w/ black rubber conversion grips, and The Lock.

I always liked the M620 and considered it a great alternative to a 4" M686, as the M620 was slightly lighter and less expensive. Unfortunately, it's evident that not too many S&W buyers agreed with us. :(

Woodsman60

I bought the 2 1/2 model about 7 years ago, and I really love it. But mines just for home and woods, if i were looking for hunting and range id probably go 4 inch first then 6 inch. As others have said, its what youll use it most for.

buck460XVR

I have 686s with 4'', 5'' and 6'' barrels. My L-Frames are either for hunting, range or HD. I do not carry any of them for CCW, nor would I consider a smaller 686 for CCW, IMHO there are better options. That said, not knowing the purpose of the gun, it's hard to give anything but a WAG.

carguychris

buck460XVR said:
I have 686s with 4'', 5'' and 6'' barrels.
Just outta curiosity, is the 5-incher (a) the 7-shot SSR, (b) the Stocking Dealer Special with the half-lug barrel, combat stocks, and the orange HiViz sight, or (c) the full-underlug, unfluted-cylinder gun that Bud's offered a few years ago... or something else?

One doesn't see many 5" M686's. :cool:

buck460XVR

Originally posted by carguychris:

Just outta curiosity, is the 5-incher (a) the 7-shot SSR, (b) the Stocking Dealer Special with the half-lug barrel, combat stocks, and the orange HiViz sight, or (c) the full-underlug, unfluted-cylinder gun that Bud's offered a few years ago... or something else?

One doesn't see many 5" M686's.

150854_01_lg.jpg

Riperoo

Just today, I bought the gun in the picture, it is a 5" unfluted talo, the one thing that I found strange was that it had SSR stocks, not the 357 stocks. And it is exactly like the picture up top, with the bull barrell with out the Angled ejector guard, any one have any info on this? I am assuming that it is a factory screw up, put the wrong grips on, it was a brand new in the box gun.

Nick_C_S

3"

I got the 3" barrel for all the reasons carguychris mentioned. Also, that 1/2" of barrel length helps with velocity, and doesn't effect concealability. I qualified with it for CCW yesterday. It's fairly new and the trigger is a little grindy, but otherwise, it's a great piece.

686-3inch_zps08c99226.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jim Watson

I had an early 686+ with moon clip conversion.
I shot it in USPSA while rules were favorable but they no longer are.
Nobody was interested in buying or trading for it, so (at considerable cost) I had S&W put in a 6 shot cylinder and hand.
It is now a good smooth IDPA SSR.

I have no further use for "high capacity" revolvers except maybe a .22.

However, if you shoot USPSA Revolver, they will allow up to 8 shot cylinders at Minor Power Factor starting in February.

Nick_C_S

I also have a 4" bbl 686 - it's a 6-shot, with a square butt. It's my favorite gun to shoot - ever. I shoot IDPA with it - out of the box stock.

But the square butt makes it impractical for conceal carry.