S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100?

tj_mlnr

Hello everybody. About a year ago I was introduced to shooting handguns, and it is safe to say that I have been hooked ever since. My grandfather gave me his old H&R 922 (.22 LR) revolver, with which I have been practicing a lot. Now I am looking to buy a larger caliber handgun. I have shot both pistol and revolver, but the ergonomics (and looks) of the revolver make it a more appealing choice to me. I managed to narrow my choices down to the S&W686 and the Ruger GP-100. Both seemed excellent handguns to me. I intend to use it mainly for target practice at the range and home defense, not for concealed carry. Does anybody have any advice for me or are both guns equally good? Thanks in advance for your help!

2/16/05
Thanks everybody for sharing your experiences and opinions. From what I’ve read both guns appear to be quality guns, and it seems there really is no clear winner between the 2. Maybe I do have to go out and get both…(my wife will go nuts :) ) Anyway, I will have to see which one ‘fits’ me best. Thanks again everybody, your input is very much appreciated!

Last edited:

dasmi

I haven't shot the Ruger, but over the weekend I shot a 6 inch 686 in stainless, loaded with .38s, and it was great fun. Comfortable to shoot, seemed pretty accurate to me.

ReadyOnTheRight

I'll put in a vote for the Ruger. It's SOLID and mine is my most accurate handgun. You can also get a Ruger significantly cheaper than a S&W. I personally like the full-lugged 6" barrel. It seems a little front-heavy when handling, but I think it helps with aim and recoil.

S&W guns have a lot of fans, and you probably can't go wrong with either, but I got into shooting handguns during the S&W/Clinton Administration Agreement travesty and never really had a lot of interest in S&W. My $0.02.

gb_in_ga

Well, I can't speak for the GP-100 from first hand experience, but from what I've heard it is a fine handgun, you would do well to have one. Personally, I have an older 4" 686 (no dash), filling the same niche as what you are looking to fill, and I love it. Nice "feel", nice trigger, accurate. It'll probably outlive me. Since the finances are strained right now, it appears that it will continue to be my only handgun, and it is versatile enough that I can live with that.

From what I understand, the Ruger gets the nod for brute strength (although the S&W ain't bad) and the S&W gets the nod for trigger and aesthetics (although the Ruger ain't bad). You won't go wrong with either one.

Jungle Work

I'd get both as long as the 686 was only six shot.

I have both and they are great revolvers, a lot better than a Python.

Jungle Work

FullEffect1911

You really can't go wrong with either. As previously stated, this forum has a lot of people who like one or the other, and there are a large group of S&W fans who refuse to buy a revolver with an internal lock. That being said many of the aformentioned groups will agree that you can't really go wrong with either the 686 or the GP100, they are both excellent revolvers with varying strong points. The GP100 is credited with being able to withstand heavier .357 magnum loads and will last longer under the stress of these heavier loads. The S&W is credited with having a smoother double action trigger pull.

This to me means the ruger is better for hunting and the Smith is better for self defense, but your results may differ.

Really the most important thing is how the gun feels in your hand, the pointability for you, and dare i say... which looks better. The GP100 feels like crap in my hand and the smith feels like an extenstion of my arm, however my buddies love the grip on the GP. The main thing is that the gun is comfy for you. If you can fire both and see which you like better, as really it comes all down to personal preference.

9x19

If you're looking at current production (New) guns, I'd definitely get the Ruger GP-100.

Older (Used, -3 and earlier model numbers) S&W 686s, are very good and would be a fine choice as well.

Slyster

I have 2 GP100's and absolutely love them. I have a 4" Target Grey (low glare stainless) and 6" blued. Before I went with Ruger I was in fact considering the S&W 686. To me, the Ruger felt so much better in my hand. It felt like it was more balanced or "top/front heavy."

JMag

I have both and they are great revolvers, a lot better than a Python.

Boy, that's a mighty big statement you got there...

I go Smith -4 and older should be just dandy.

They are, IMO, both great revolvers; so is the Python! ;)

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I'd have to vote for the 6" six-shot Smith 686 as well. I own a
-5 model (without the intergal lock), and its a great shooter. Add a
$15 WOLFF spring kit, and it beats the Ruger hands down. :cool: :D

Best Wishes,

44mag@ucnsb.net

it beats the Ruger hands down.

When discussing a trigger pull, yes. But overall? no.

S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100?

I would point out that both are great guns, and as many have said, each pistol has their better points. Generally speaking the Rugers are stronger and the Smith’s look/feel better. As far as triggers go, the Smith’s are capable of a nicer trigger feel that much is true. But what should be kept in mind is that trigger feel and looks are points of opinion. One person may prefer a Ruger trigger/look over a Smith trigger/look, or of course vice versa. In the end I would suggest you do your best to shoot them both before deciding which look/feel is best for you. There are several ways to get to shoot a gun you don’t own, some gun stores have shooting ranges, some shooting ranges rent guns, and a friendly conversation might get you a few shots out of a fellow shooters pistol.

$15 WOLFF spring kit

I would ask you to keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for. While I am not knocking anyone who uses such spring kits, I myself sell them to people who do not wish to spend the money on a true trigger job. I should point out that it is not a subsitute for a trigger job done by the factory or a competent gunsmith. Have a good one and good luck.

.44mag

P.S. You will note that I did not say trigger pull in my earlier comments on trigger opinions. Trigger pull can be measured in pounds, which of course both pistol's triggers can be adjusted with kits and or with a gunsmith’s help.

abelew

me personally, id get a 686 plus (7 shot), but thats just me. Ruger makes a good revo also, but I just prefer the smith. Great trigger, awsome lookin gun (IMHO)

The Body Bagger

handle both and get the one the one that feels better....and then 6 months later after you've saved another $4-500 go back and get the other one.

Cayoot

I read alot about the GP-100 being stronger than the 686. I can't see any practical truth in that. Note that I said PRACTICAL truth. I own both guns and have shot alot of heavy rounds through both guns. They are both able to out live me, my kids, and my grand kids with heavy loads so I would not consider that.

The trigger on the smith is a bit smoother, but the new Rugers have pretty nice triggers too.

The main difference that I find in the triggers is not so much the smoothness as the type of pull. Remember, the Smith has a flat main spring while the Ruger has a coiled main spring. That means that the ruger will always have a bit of "Stacking" towards the end of the pull. This only affects dbl action work, it has no affect on single action trigger pull. Other than that, I have a very smooth trigger pull on my Ruger.

I love both guns, the only real differences that I think you should consider is:
1 price
2 looks (which appeals best to you)
3 S&W has that stupid lock built in, but Ruger comes with a really cool heavy duty master lock. It is almost as if Ruger said "Screw your stupid mandatory lock law, if we have to sell our customers a lock, at least we will make it a lock that they can use to lock up their fishing shack or what ever and not have it on a perfectly good gun!).

I think you should consider these 3 things, then relax and buy one of them. Relax in the knowledge that you CAN'T make a bad choice here, just a prefered one.

They are both great guns!

Blue Heeler

Do you live near a range where there is competition revolver shooting?
If you do, I'd suggest you go and see what ALL the competitors are shooting.
'There is only one, and Smith & Wesson is it's name'.

Boats

Do you live near a range where there is competition revolver shooting?If you do, I'd suggest you go and see what ALL the competitors are shooting.
'There is only one, and Smith & Wesson is it's name'.

That is a misnomer. Almost all S&W competition revolvers are 625 N-frame .45ACPs, a revolver type Ruger doesn't even make.

It'd be like saying, "Ever go to a Cowboy Shooting Event? The vast majority of winners shoot Rugers."

Well duh, S&W doesn't make any meaningful amounts of SA revolvers.

The Body Bagger

The 686 felt better to me than the gp100, trigger pull and overall balance.

Well it sounds like you made a good decision. In reality there really isn't a bad choice to be made between the two. All of the arguments in favor of one over the other is based almost exlusively on personal perferences and not in any glaringly obvious defects in one design or the other. Welcome to the S&W fold. I'm sure you'll enjoy your 686 as much as I do mine.

Blue Heeler

Well Boats, I admit you got me on the cowboy shooting. I was thinking more of revolver matches like the FBI Combat Match and IPSC. Here these are mainly shot with .38/357. Some shoot .44 and .45 but these are a bit hefty for a reasonably long match. .32 H&R is a good caliber for these matches but speedloaders are a problem - can't get jetloaders. In any case I don't recall seeing more than one or two Rugers used in any of these matches. Everyone uses S&W of one sort or another. The main problem for the Ruger in these matches is the DA trigger - it is very hard to get them smooth without causing other difficulties. The grip also seems to be a problem for some users.The ergonomics just aren't right. I am sure that they are quite OK for SA shooting, not a matter of accuracy (all of them are accurate with the right load). I don't mind Ruger revolvers. They are honest and well priced guns they are just not good DA shooters.