S&W 686 Grips - Which is better?

branrot

The wooden Goncalo Alves grips or the Hogue rubber grips? Which do you find more comfortable, better, and why?

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Being that my S&W 686-5 with a 6" barrel is
the round butted variety, I just got use to
the Hogue rubber combat grip's. As a matter
of fact, I just removed the S&W smooth wood,
finger grooved grip's from my S&W 629-5, and
went back to Hogue rubber's. I guess you
might say I like 'em pretty much?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Wood.

Wood.

Wood.

Do you CCW? Rubber binds on your clothing.

Also, wood just looks better. I like Cocobolo or Rosewood on stainless and Pau Ferro or Walnut on blued guns.

Bobshouse

I like the palm swells of the wood grips. I continually shoot left when using the rubber grips, to narrow for me.

JoeHatley

I've got over a dozen sets of wood grips in my spare parts box. Most of them factory and a few custom ones, including Hogue.

With a couple of exceptions, all my handguns have Hogue rubber mono-grips installed. Yes, the wood is nice looking and some even work okay, but for helping get a consistent hold, I've never found anything better than the rubber mono-grip.

Now if they would just make it with one finger groove, rather than two...

Good Luck...

Joe

Brasso

I prefer wood because they have a better palm swell and don't cling to clothing. However, if I was to carry rubber grips, the Hogues are the last ones I would use. IMO, they are the most gawd awfull pieces of crap made. The wood models aren't too bad if you don't mind the greatly extended grip frame that increases it's "printing" when carried concealed.

Ronin 99

I find the Hogue Monogrips to be a bit too small for me and the wood grips I have fit my had much better. Nothing like the beauty of fine wood for me. :cool:
Ronin

branrot

Can you just switch the grips out? Can you replace the wood grips with the Hogues, and vice-versa, or are the frames of the guns different depending on whether they come with the wood or rubber grips?

C.R.Sam

Frame same whatever grip they came with.

Whichever fits you and your application is the best for you. Everybody's hands are different.

Sam

FlyinGN

I vote Wood.. Thats what I changed to on my 686 and love em..
These are S&W factory ones that I bought for my 686.
Frank
P1010001.jpg

I also love the beauty of wood, but found the stock wooden grips that came with my 8 3/8" 686 just plain butt ugly.:D

Bought the Hogue Monogrips, found they fit my hands perfectly and ten years later, just as happy with them as the day I bought them.

Safe shooting.

mikey357

Which is "better"...That's easy...whichever one fits YOUR hand better and allows you to utilize the revo more effectively!!! That's why most of us have a drawer or box full of "spare", cast-off or discarded grips...experiment until you find what works best for YOU, Grasshopper....mikey357

...got SOME of the answers, still figurin' out some of the questions...

dairycreek

I have two 686+ revolvers.............

one with a 4" barrel and the other with a 2-1/2. I often carry the 2-1/2" one concealed !WB and it has "camo lamo" wood grips. Looks terrific and rides more easily under my untucked shirts. On the 4" model I have Hogue rubber grips and they are just fine too but tend to stick to my untucked shirts and "print" more than the wood ones. FWIW if I absolutely HAD to stick with one or the other grip styles it would be wood.