S&W 686 3" standard or deluxe?

Mastrogiacomo

Can anyone tell me if there's any real difference between these guns or if it's just the difference of polishing the gun up and the grip? Thank you.

Laura

Cosmodragoon

My wife has been looking at the deluxe model for a while now. She thinks it is one of the most beautiful guns she has ever seen and that she might actually like shooting magnums out of it... While the wood grips sure are pretty, I'm guessing they'll make those magnums less fun to shoot...

If anyone has one and there are other things making the gun special, I'd love to hear about it.

Mastrogiacomo

Well I'm looking to get the 686 plus 3," but if the only difference between the models is the grips, then I think the standard will be fine. I'd personally prefer silver black grips myself for the gun.

Model12Win

That Deluxe is a pretty nice looking gun! I'm not crazy about the grips. I like square butt grips if only for aesthetics. It's also a 7 shooter, not bad :D!

Ryu825

The deluxe is a 7 shot with a nice wood grip. I was looking at that, a pro series 686 (4" 6rds), and a regular 686. Really it was between the deluxe and the pro series. I really liked the extra shot with the deluxe but the trigger on the pro series sold me especially since it was going to be a range gun and it looked different with the slab sided barrel and all. I'm a sucker for special versions of otherwise common guns, not necessarily rare, just different. If I run into another deluxe down the road I'll probably get it