S&W 66-2 vs. 19-4

tjh

Are there any real differences in the two , other than stainless steel over blued steel . a local shop has these for sale , but I haven't seen them yet . any pros or cons . big price difference on them ! both are litely used, 4" barrel , 357 mag.

JC57

Model 19-4 was pinned and recessed (last of the 19s with those features) and the 66-2 is not.

The pinned and recessed models are more desirable by collectors so the 19-4 will probably run higher than the 66-2.

PA32Mark

For a carry gun, especially if I lived in a humid climate, I'd go with the stainless M66. Otherwise, for occasional range use, etc., I'd likely go with the older M19. Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

tjh

The shop is asking near new price for the 66 the 19 is half the price . Looking for a trail gun when out riding . Really like the look of the 66 but the cost is a little more than my budget at this time . Maybe they will do a payment plan lay away . :(:confused:

PA32Mark

At half the price, then, I'd probably take the older pinned bbl M19 if it was in nice shape. During your high humidity season, it'll deserve a tiny bit more diligent post trail ride cleaning and maintenance than the M66, but that should be about it. I think the older Model 19's are great shooting, almost-classic guns; mine is going to the range with me today for my yearly HR218 qualification!

FITASC

I have both, the 66-2 was new the 19 I just got a few months ago; doesn't look like it got shot too much, but the DA trigger seems smoother to me. Can't go wrong with either. What are the prices he asking?

PA32Mark

I'll admit I'm not particularly up-to-date on the current market prices of M66's, but that strikes me as a significantly on the high side. What do others think?

Guv

That price difference has got to reflect the condition of the two guns. If not that 19 seems either to be a real deal or it may be pretty rough.

Grant D

I would jump on that model 19-4 at that price! the 66-2 not so much.
If it was a 2 1/2" barrel maybe, but not a 4"
I just bought a nickel Model 19-5 with a 4" barrel for $500.00 and thought that was a good deal.

2ndsojourn

I'd jump on that 19 in a heartbeat too. A couple months ago I paid $700 for a -3, 4" barrel, pristine w/ box & papers. That's what they go for around here, if you can find one, plus I wanted it.

old bear

19-4 he's asking $345. and for the 66-2 he's asking $729.

If the M-19 is in at least good condition, I.e. timing, lock up, end shake and assorted it's a great price.

I assume the M-66 is a 4", if so I believe his price is somewhat high. If it's a 2 1/2" the price is only a little above going rates.

As others have suggested the stainless M-66 would better serve you for a pure trail gun.

Keep us posted.

FITASC

I paid right at that for my 19-3 RB 2-1/2", but no box or papers - I thought I stole it. IMO, the 66 is a tad high.

highpower3006

For $345, I certainly would not have waited for internet approval to have purchased that 19-4. What frequently seems to happen, is by the time you post the question and finally make the decision, the gun is gone.

I paid $700 for a 19-2 last year, mine was NIB and came with the paperwork, SAT and cleaning tools, still sealed in the plastic bag. I feel that I got a OK deal, but certainly not as good as one for half that price.

old bear

For $345, I certainly would not have waited for internet approval to have purchased that 19-4. What frequently seems to happen, is by the time you post the question and finally make the decision, the gun is gone.

I paid $700 for a 19-2 last year, mine was NIB and came with the paperwork, SAT and cleaning tools, still sealed in the plastic bag. I feel that I got a OK deal, but certainly not as good as one for half that price.

Highpower, ya did more than just OK on that purchase, and I think you know it:D.