S&W 66 2 1/2 fixed sights

Deaf Smith

Guys,

I understand some state police force used 2 1/2 Combat Magnums, special ordered for S&W, with FIXED SIGHTS. Delaware?

Does anyone know if this is true? I understand it was a special order item just for that state police.

Thanks,

Deaf

Deaf Smith

No, I remember one state police had 2 1/2 M19s with fixed sights. Not 3 inch unshrouded barrel ones (which is what a 65 is.)

Deaf

Auto426

Based on a quick Google search, the only fixed sight Model 19's I can find anything on were a batch of approximately 250 guns made for a French Government contract. There were 200 guns for the French and around 50 guns sold to the public that were assembled from parts overruns. These guns were round butts with 3" shrouded barrels and fixed sights. Grips were checkered walnut.

Would that be the model 65?

The 65 is a fixed sight stainless .357 magnum K frame. There were some Model 65's sold with shrouded barrels, I believe under the "Lady Smith" moniker. However, the 65's ever had anything shorter than a 3" barrel:

benneli%20nova%20s%20w%20017.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

The blued cousin of the 65 was the Model 13. The same basic gun, just made out of carbon steel instead of stainless.

jolly roger

Never seen a 2 1/2 66 with fixed sights and shrouded rod. However I do wish I had bought a Connecticut State Police Model 19 2 1/2. They had a matte finish on them like a Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Relatively rare birds.