S&W 659: Grips / backstrap mods?

Skans

Recently, I have been wanting to go back to using my Smith 659 as my primary Home Defense weapon. I am fairly accurate with this gun, like the da/sa feature but I have one problem. the grip is too thick in my hand. Well, I just got spoiled with other guns that fit me better than my old 659 (I used to think nothing of it)

I think that the problem can possibly be fixed by removing some of the material in the (what feels like aluminum) backstrap on the grip. Doesn't this piece house the mainspring? If so, can it be reduced at all toward the top where the web of your hand goes around the rear of the grip?

Can the backstrap be reduced - what's the best way to go about this?

Bill DeShivs

It can probably be done, but it would best be left to a very competent gunsmith. Unless you refinish the entire frame, the finish will not match, either.

Skans

My thought was to locate a spare backstrap and have the work done on that, then install it on my 659. I really like my 659 pistol - would use it more, but for two things:

1. I can't figure out how to easily install night sights
2. Grip is a little thick for my hand.

I've noticed that on some of the pistols that fit my hand better, the grip narrows a little where the web of your thumb goes. I just thought that this might be a way to make my 659 a little more "user friendly" for me.