S&W 65, or am I certifiable?

Zhillsauditor

I am on a revolver addiction train--I think I've purchase 9 in the last 9 months. Today's purchase is a police trade in model 65 in 3". I've not been a big fan of non-adjustable sighted guns, but this will replace the model 15 2" I just "sold" (gave away) to my octogenarian coworker.

I've been fascinated by the 3" k-frame, but haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price. I'm still waiting for a model 66 to show up for the right price.

Pictures to follow in a week or so.

Webleymkv

If you're willing to allow a little "wiggle room" on the barrel length, a Model 66 or 19 with a 2 1/2" barrel will likely be easier to find and less expensive than a 3" model. One of my regular CCW guns is a 2 1/2" M66-2

BuffaloSabresGame72.jpg

Whirlwind06

I have been picking more then a few revolvers myself. Not as many as you have though :)
Here is my M64 3 inch.
My EDC most days.
IMG_2193.jpg

Walklightly

Breath

Breath, and take your time, and get off the coffee.

You got what you need, breath.

TBS, it's a free country! buy tell the sun goes down:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DFrame

Smiths' 3 inch guns are a thing of beauty AND function. It just doesn't get much better in terms of balance and handling.

MrBorland

Zhillsauditor said:
I've been fascinated by the 3" k-frame, but haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price. I'm still waiting for a model 66 to show up for the right price.

3" 66s and 19s are rare birds, and the "right" price may surprise you. The only 3" 66s I've seen has $1k price tags on them. If you just want a shooter, it'd be a lot easier to cut down a 4" or 6".

MLeake

I'll take a 3" fixed sight over a 2-1/2" adjustable sight any time. The reason? The 3" has a full-length ejector rod; the shorter gun has a shortened rod. Getting full ejection in one stroke is easier with the 3", especially with magnum cases.

Meanwhile, with 158gr bullets, my 3" 13 and 3" 65s (I have two) really don't need any sight adjustment. They are dead-on.

I also think the 3" guns point and balance perfectly.

Not to say I'd sneeze at a 2-1/2" model;, I just really prefer the 3" varieties.

I only know one person who has a 3" 66; he isn't selling.

gak

No, not certifiable! Mine is the rare-ish (and increasingly precious) 65LS - Lady Smith. Doesn't get any better IMO. Unique among K's--combo of 3" and fixed sight with full lug (shroud) plus satin stainless.

357 Python

I find that I am carrying my 3" S&W 65 more and more these days. It conceals well and is quite capable of defending me and mine when the chips are down.

The 65 is the unglamorous but effective workhorse of K-Frames. It has everything I need, and nothing I don't.

Well, at least from a gun, that is.

65_round_800.jpg

Nanuk

The 3" model 65 is a GREAT gun. I had one and sold it like a dummy years ago. I now have a 3" model 13, which is the same thing but blued. I love K frame smiths, oh sorry, I love all Smiths........

Mosin44az

I want a 3-inch K Frame myself, so I would not worry about being crazy if I were you.

Assuming you can afford your purchases, they are great investments....

Glenn Dee

Zhill...

That 3" "K" is the pick of the litter. Very desierable. As far as steel sights? Just practice with it... you may be surprised at what can be done with them. Also.. Steel sights? One less thing that could go wrong.

Auditor

Sad story. Got my daughter a 3" 66 from a friend. It seems her ex needed some drugs and the 66 is gone! That's been a few years ago and I'm not over it yet.

Deaf Smith

Zhillsauditor,

You have these choices:

1. M66 2 1/2 Combat Magnum.
2. M66 3 inch version (but the ones I see at gun shows they want nearly $800 for 'em!)
3. M65 3 inch. Still can be found but prices going up to. Ladysmith version has shrouded ejector rod housing under the barrel.
4. Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4. Prices also going up!

I've owned every one of them and I can say as for self defense there is not any difference between them except the Ruger can take more .357s before it shoots loose.

The extra length of the ejector rod on the 3 inches is not all that much of a thing. In the 2 to 2 1/2 guns just polish the chambers and do a smart tap on the abbreviated ejector rod and they drop out fine.

And for day in and day out carry, I actually prefer the short 2 1/2 Combat Magnum (and Distinguished Combat Magnum, the 686) due to packing it all day in an appendix holster or belt slide while driving is much easier as the longer the barrel the more it sticks into you!

Deaf

Zhillsauditor

You have these choices:
Actually, I already bought the gun, just waiting on delivery (tracking says it will be here today). It's a police trade in that was on sale for $320, shipping bumped it up to $341, and I had a free transfer.

I had been looking at J&G police trade ins, but I wanted a 3".