S&W 65-2 P&R?

I dealt with a 4" 65 today that was binding up. Oddly, enough, it's got a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. The serial # is 1D3XXX, which puts it around 1977.

There are some questionable marks around the recoil shield, and there's very little clearance between it and the rear of the cylinder.

Is this a Frankenstein gun, or were there P&R's in this range?

It's going back to S&W either way, but I was curious.

FlyFish

P&R was dropped ca. 1982, so it's correct that your 65, which the SN puts at '76-'77 should have those features.

cpallen

P & R 65-2

I have a 65-2 with s/n 7D71XXX that has a recessed cylinder but the barrel is not pinned. I think it was manufactured in 1982.

Webleymkv

P&R is correct for a 65-2. The 65-2 differed from the 65-1 in that the gas ring was moved from the yoke to the cylinder. Early Magnum K-Frames had issues with the gas ring swelling and locking up the revolver when it got hot from extended use. The issue was solved with the aforementioned gas ring relocation (this was also done on the Model 66 with the 66-1). The 65-2 was produced from 1977 until 1982. Both the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder were eliminated with the 65-3 and 66-2 in 1982. The M-65 is also unusual in that there are apparently no No-Dash M65's, they were 65-1's from the very beginning of production which started in 1974.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/Smith.Model.Changes.asp