S&W 64....What's a fair price?

hoytinak

Looking at trading for a 64, what's it worth? (I don't really know revolvers). It's a 4" pencil pinned barrel, no dash S&W 64, some minor scratches (that'll easily buff out) and wear/scratches on grips but no cracks. Lock up is nice and tight, and both DA & SA triggers are nice/smooth.

JERRYS.

go to gunbroker.com to see what they are going for on the market...... I do not know about the pencil bbl. version or I'd opine.

Sevens

Two schools of thought on a Model 64: many of these were issued by large agencies and when those hit the resale market, the price ("value?") drops accordingly. I have one that is very likely to have been used for issue from some department simply due to some of the markings on it. I swapped a former Toledo Police issue Model 10 for it.

If it's former issue and in decent, usable shape or better, the market around me puts it $275 on the low end and under $400 on the high end.

If it's absolutely not a former issue gun and was purchased through normal channels by a civilian and with original box and such (the kinds of 'evidence' that show it wasn't bought & issued en masse) than I would expect the price to be higher - but the market to support that price to be more difficult, simply due to the availability of fixed sight .38 cal K-frames out there because of the surplus, formerly-issued market.

I have two formerly issued duty K-frames and they are simply phenomenal. They've been banged around and have crusted doughnut squizz on them and they shoot just plain lights-out. Their ability and fun factor outweigh the actual price ("value") heavily. They just want to be shot, shot, and SHOT all the time. They live for it.

CajunBass

Sight unseen, in what I picture from your description, I'd say about 450-475 around here. Beat up, well worn ones, with the more common bull barrel are tagged in the $375-400 range. They'll sell for less maybe, but that will be that asking price.

I sold one like it, a tapered barrel, Model 64, 4", unfired, in the box with all the papers and stuff, for $425.00 a couple of years ago. They've gone nowhere but up since then.

Remington 51

I bought a 64-0 in "pencil barrel" two years ago for $375. Fired, but otherwise in exceptional condition but with no box and thus not a collector.

An exceptional shooter, even considering the fixed sights.

If I had to replace that gun today, with one identical in condition and in accuracy, I would gladly pay double.

Maybe I just got a good one.

I wouldn't balk at $500 for another

gwpercle

I got a police trade in, 4 inch heavy barrel , carried a lot - shot little, a few years ago for $250.00. It was marked B.R.P.D. (Baton Rouge Police Department ). It's my favorite shooter now. 38 Special is special!
Gary

orionengnr

My LGS gets in a batch of Brinks Security 4" M64 trade-ins every now and again. These are DOA. She gets $200 each for them, and they sell out almost immediately. I have found homes for a fair number of them.

I'm not saying that everyone I know owns one, but I'm not not saying it either. :)