S&W 639 round trigger guard.

smee78

Why cant I just stay out of places I keep getting into trouble at? So i stop in at a local pawn shop that I have picked up a few item from over the years, just a quick run in and out and there it was sittng on the second shelf. It needs a good cleaning and a light fluff & buff but nothing major with this gun. Even came with the older orginal mag and some wood grips and adj sights. I was able to get it for $375, I threw it on lay-a-way because I did not plan on getting any guns today?

DaleA

In my youth I looked at a 39 and was amazed at how well it seemed to fit my hand, but the 59 held more rounds, but the 59 didn't feel as good (and both were in that goofy FOREIGN 9mm caliber.)

Didn't buy either one. Mistakes of youth. Sigh.

That was a super deal you got. Looking forward to a range report but I bet you'll really like it.

RickB

I got a near-mint 539 a few months ago. Still haven't shot it, and don't know if I will.
The trigger is terrible, which I expected, but the grip, sights and overall feel are very nice.

image31_zpsi7f7nf5x.jpg

smee78

That is a fine exampleof the 539, thanks for sharing the picture. I thought the price was too good to pass up. I really have a weakness for stainless single stack 9mm's. There is just something about a goof single stack with wood grips that makes it had to pass on. I will admit that this is my first version with a round trigger guard.:D

RickB

I didn't really have a preference among 439/539/639 initially, but decided I definitely wanted one with a round 'guard.
If I'd ended-up with a hooked 639, I would have been sorely tempted to grind off the hook. :)

Sevens

Not sure why you start the thread and sort of deliver this like it is some kind of "trap" you fall in to or mistake you commonly make?! You got one heckuva good deal at that price, I would imagine you must realize that.

I'd give you all your money back plus shipping for that 639.

Sevens

Meh, forgive my sour attitude. It was probably about a year ago or a bit more when I decided that I -must- own a 639 and it was only then when I began searching for one and found that they are somewhat scarce.

I eventually found one locally in very late December '14. Condition was decent, but nowhere near mint and the price was $500+tax.

I just wish I could tell you that I found an early one with the far better looking rounded trigger guard but NOPE. But at least it didn't have the horrendous adjustable rear sight.

Stargater53

I have a thing for 2nd/3rd Generation Smiths, especially the stainless models. But then, I've always had a thing for models, too. It's funny that for all the time I spent trying to get a 639 that I ended up getting a 3906...in a trade. I also got a 659 and a 5906. The hooked triggerguard never bothered me. (I figured the time might come when I have to brace it against something, then I'd be glad I had it.)

S&W 3906

S&W 659

I don't mind the weight on either as I use these guns mostly as home defense or travel guns. On the road our for camping/hiking, I prefer my Ruger Security-Six or 3-inch Speed-Six .357.

The stainless S&W pistols, I don't think, could be made at today's popular 9mm prices. Plastic, striker-fired guns are far cheaper to make these days. One thing I love about the Smith stainless autos is that even if you don't use the hammer-drop safety, they're still safer to carry with one up the snoot than the Glocks. Don't believe me? Take one of each, cock them, then jiggle your finger on each of the triggers rapidly trying not to fire them. See which goes "click" the first. (See, I'm not going to insult your intelligence by telling you to unload them before doing this). Then ask yourself which you'd rather Barney Fife be holding on you in a tense stand-off in which he had his "bullet" in the chamber!

There's enough take-up in the Smith triggers that I think they're safer than the Glock safeties.

Stargater53

Sevens said:
It was probably about a year ago or a bit more when I decided that I -must- own a 639 and it was only then when I began searching for one and found that they are somewhat scarce.
You can most likely find someone who can buff out the imperfections, then polish the gun with a polishing wheel. You can have it looking like a nickel-plated model in no time! Or, you can get a more matte finish with different compounds. You ought to see stainless revolvers that have polished. Breathtaking!

smee78

I guess I gust have a weakness for stainless 9mm's. I currently have 2 other 639's with the hooked trigger guard, and 2 3906's (one fixed and one adj sights) but my favorite is my silver 3904 (Novak style sights). I perfer/shoot/carry it better even over my 3913NL or 3953. :rolleyes: It must be a sickness. I also picked up 3 5906's (I know there not singe stacks but I got one for me and one for each of my sons) and got me a 5926.....Its a sickness I tell ya!

I wont even mention my 1076 or 1006....:rolleyes:

SIGSHR

My NIB M639 came with an incredibly smooth and light trigger and I will bet good money the DA pulls feels light than the SA.

dgludwig

QUOTE: There's enough take-up in the Smith triggers that I think they're safer than the Glock safeties.

They are certainly more "forgiving", if not "safer".

As to the hooked trigger guard, I much prefer the looks of the rounded version (my Model 6906 has the hooked style) but my preference is obviously predicated on reasons of subjective taste. I might add that, though I seem to be one of the few who likes the looks of Third Generation models that have the adjustable rear sight surrounded by the protective "ears", at least in this instance, said preference has valid objective reasons for entertaining.