S&w 638

cohoskip

Well, I picked up my new S&W 638 (shrouded hammer) yesterday. As with any new acquisition, I am anxious to get out to the range and see what I can do with it.

Neat little gun - .38 Spcl +P... :D

tuckerdog1

They look a little goofy ( IMHO ), but I sure like mine. It gets carried more than anything else I have.

Congrats on the purchase.

Tuckerdog1

Neophyte1

goofy

goofy aint the word "Ugly" and it goes where ever I go thats legal.
cohoskip: you got the best of both worlds. Single or Double action.
I mess about @100yd markers; gun doesn't make up for my wobbling. :)

we would like to have a 'complete' follow up on your experiences:)

Jeff #111

I own the all steel Model 49 Bodyguard (mfd. 1972/73). It's in great shape. Carried it for several years. The Bodyguard is ugly, but it works. I like the shroud. It lets me get a good high grip without the hammer pinching my hand, but I can still manually cock it.

cohoskip

Neophyte1

Well, you asked for it.

I went to the range yesterday to try it out. To check out the sights, I first fired
SA at 15 feet at a 6" target. All inside. Then at 30 feet, still all there. Then I tried DA at 30 ft. Not quite as good, but acceptable.

I doubt if it would ever be necessary to use this weapon at more than 30 ft.,
but next time I will move a little farther away.

All in all, I am satisfied with my "familiarization" tests with this little gun. It shoots well and I like the trigger action... :)

Neophyte1

follow up

cohoskip: Sir; sorry that I didn't follow up. I see that you did your shooting several weeks ago. :) Have you more experiences.:)