S&W 637 Wyatt Deep Cover

ScotchMan

Not sure if any of you watch(ed) the show American Guns, but towards the end of their second season, they made an effort to get S&W to pick up their custom 637 as a production gun.

Basically they take a 637, remove the hammer, give it a trigger job and doll it up a bit. On the show they were commanding something like $800 or $1000 for this (but if you watched the show, you know that their prices exist in a universe outside ours; guns costing $10,000+ were constantly changing hands there).

So, the show got cancelled, which is a shame, because it was one of the few gun shows I actually watched. They dealt with real world guns and real world people, not just integrally-silenced AK-47s with attached grenade launchers (you know the show I'm talking about).

But, I was browsing S&W's site today, and notice the 637 Wyatt Deep Cover on their Performance Center page. I guess they did end up picking it up. I bet someone is mad that they took the time to tool up for this thing and now the show is cancelled.

Especially because the 642 Enhanced Action, a gun that makes a lot more sense to me, is right there next to it.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...75655_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

LSP972

The phrase "polishing a ****" comes to mind. Not that J frames are ****s; far from it.

But a plain-vanilla 642 will do anything you ask of it, within the parameters of a .38 snubby.

Those nice, fancy stocks on the "special" versions? Forget about easy pocket carry with those.

And as for whacking off the hammer spur on the 637 "special"... I did that on my 360PD 11 years ago. Took about five minutes, not counting disassembly/reassembly time. The only intelligent reason for doing that to an exposed hammer J frame is to prevent snagging the hammer spur upon presentation.

Some do it so that they have a snag-free piece but can still thumb cock it for a single action shot... not a great idea, since controlling a nubbed hammer while cocking it is tricky at best. You want that capability? Get a BodyGuard- a REAL one (M-38, M-49, etc.), NOT that plastic POS.

Anyway... sorry for the rant. This sort of thing makes me sad...

ScotchMan

Yeah, something like that was my feeling on it as well. When watching the show, I didn't realize they were starting with a 637. Rather I thought they were taking a 642 and doing a trigger job. For a DAO revolver, I'd rather have the hammer concealed, as that is one less point for dust and dirt to enter the gun.

As for the 642 Enhanced Action (what I assume you were talking about with fancy stocks), I agree. I handled one today actually, and the first thing I said is I would have to throw those pretty grips in a drawer and put some boot grips on it.

Jack19

I saw one of the one of the Wyatt Deep Covers at my LGS while looking for a 642.

My thought was that if you're going to bob the hammer, and polish it to a mirror finish (you could use it to shave,) to prevent snagging, why not just buy the 642, or the 638 if you wanted to retain single action ability?

The clip grip was a nice feature if you want to go without a holster IWB, but it made it unacceptably wide for pocket carry.

I picked up the Talo 642PC (at a price too good to pass up) and as ScotchMan suggested, put a pair of Hogue Monogrips on it. (Bootgrips are too short for me.) This one, SW did right.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_820047_-1_775655_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Last edited:

ScotchMan

I handled the 642PC on Friday; I just can't justify the price increase over a normal 642. They were asking $549 for them if I remember correctly; that's $150 or more over what I'd expect to spend on a normal 642, and I have to buy grips too.

Dave Chuppa

I would rather have a stock no lock 442 with the old style Uncle Mikes Boot Grips. Those yuppies put too much junk on their Guns.

Last edited:

savit260

Seems kind of similar to the 37-2 S&W did a few years back. Short run of no lock , blue M37s with a factory bobbed hammer.

As I recall those sold out fairly quick... but then again , I believe that was the first model to be reintroduced without the dreaded internal lock.

buck460XVR

Originally posted by Jack19:

I saw one of the one of the Wyatt Deep Covers at my LGS while looking for a 642.

My thought was that if you're going to bob the hammer, and polish it to a mirror finish (you could use it to shave,) to prevent snagging, why not just buy the 642, or the 638 if you wanted to retain single action ability?

I figured it was so they had some kind of rationalization to overcharge for it. You know, it takes X amount of time to bob and polish the hammer @ X amount of gunsmith rate. Then the customer can tell everyone they have a custom "bobbed" hammer and a 637 that's different from stock!