S&W 637 Range Report

Tom B

Traded for a NIB 637 last week and took it to the range yesterday. Ran 80rds of Ga Arms 158gr FMJ and a few Fed 125gr NHP thru it. Fit and finish was very good and more easy to remove powder residue during cleaning from the finish than my Scandi model. The gun shot to point of aim and was accurate. I liked the Uncle Mikes boot grips but recoil did re-open a blister on my shooting thumb which was begun by my mod 340. Primer strikes were strong and centered. This gun was NIB but does not have the built in lock. It did come with a trigger lock big enough to use as a pair of brass knuckles. My passion right now is to learn to shoot the J frames well as they are my carry guns. From an appearance standpoint I like the looks of the airweight as to the way the ejector rod locks to the barrel vs the larger shroud of the Airlites and Taurus snubs. There you have it - I can't really say anything bad about the little Smith.

Last edited:
I've got the Model 638 - the same gun as yours, but with a hammer shroud.

The 158 grain SWCHP .38 Special +P carry ammo gets fired often enough (but not in large quantities) so that I will stay familiar with it.

Much shooting is done with 148 grain target watcutters - a mild load.

Each session ends with a couple of cylinders full of jacketed ammo, to clean the lead out of the bore.

The range sessions are not long with this revolver.......usually approximately 50 rounds.

Congratulations on your new revolver. I believe that the Airweight J-frame is an ideal carry piece.