S&W 627

akr

Does anyone have a S&W 627 Standard 4" 8 shot? If so, have you had any issues with it? I was leaning toward getting one of those. It is built on an N frame. They also sell the more expensive 627 Pro and the 627 P/C (Performance Center).

ME109

No but have a 627-0. Never thought I would find a .357 more accurate than my L-Frame, but incredibly it is.

FrankZappa

Does anyone have a S&W 627 Standard 4" 8 shot?

I have the Pro series with the slab-side barrel. I really like the way it looks. I paid $734 NIB in Massachusetts. I really wanted the 5" Performance Center model, but that was about $200 more and not immediately available when I was ready to buy.

have you had any issues with it?

When I purchased it, the muzzle crown looked a bit odd, but it's just the way it's cut and recessed. Accuracy is just fine. It comes with moon clips, but they're not really needed. They're really a PITA to use, so I just keep them as "speed loaders".

akr

As far as I know, Frank, the bbl. on the Pro and the front sight are the only difference between the Pro and the Standard....I'm not sure.;)

Evyl Robot

The PC comes with the rubber Hogue grips as well as a pair of Kim Ahrends unidentifiable wood. The PC has forged hammer and trigger vs. MIM. It comes with a gold bead front sight vs. the red ramp. It has a ball detent lock up. The $200.00 extra gets you plenty of goodies. Now, all that being said, the Pro is a very nice gun. My wife loves her PC. I like shooting it once in a while, but the gun is just too easy to shoot. When you get used to the moonclips, they are quite easy to manipulate. At first, you will cuss at them and want to go to standard speedloaders, but even full-length Magnums will be twice as fast as an HKS after a little practice with them. the .357 moonclips demand a demooning tool, so plan to buy or build one. Is it worth it? No gun collection is complete without. Now, it can be said that no gun collection is complete. Period. --but, you should get a 627. Get a Pro, get a PC, it comes down to preferance at that point. You will love it. They are wonderful.

akr

Evyl---

First, let's enjoy Oklahoma beating Florida tomorrow night. Now, back to the guns--I am thinking about just buying the Standard 627. It's about $700 and that's enough for me. LOL. :D

akr

I bet I'll like it. It was either that or a GP100 4", even though I know the 627 is heavier.

FrankZappa

There must be more models of 627 than any other model.lol That is a fine gun.

It certainly is a nice piece but I think that there are more variations of the 629 out there than the 627.

As far as I know, Frank, the bbl. on the Pro and the front sight are the only difference between the Pro and the Standard....I'm not sure

I think you're right. I went for the slab-sided Pro model because it looks different than any other revolver I own. I wanted something that would stand out from the rest. I also like the 8 shot cylinder, that also makes it different from the rest. The only modification I have planned is the addition of a Hi-Viz front sight. They're easy to swap out due to a spring/plunger design.

akr

I think I'll get the 627 Standard 4". I'm still hurting from watching that Fl and Ok game.

akr

You can still get one....I don't really know whether they are worth that much more over a GP100, though, but I don't have a S&W, except for the M&P .40.:)