S&W 627 finish question

Skans

I saw a S&W 627 on Gunbroker recently http://www.gunbroker.com/item/606832556 which I thought was gorgeous. THIS finely brushed stainless finish is simply one of my favorite finishes. Plus, I really liked the grips.

I want this exact same gun, but in the 2 3/5" version. I also want the fluted cylinder, which seems to only come on the 4" versions. How do you get that finish? Who can do this kind of work, other than the factory? And, what do you think it would cost? Am I just dreaming here, or is it possible to get this exact gun wit the shorter barrel? Maybe it's just easier to order the gun and then have a shorter barrel fitted to it?

BigJimP

I have similar grips on my 627's.....polishing them isn't that big a deal if you just want to spend the time - but I think the factory stock finish on the 627's is fine the way it is....but yes, the 2 5/8" barrel model has an unfluted cylinder....

I can't upload a photo of mine....file is too big / i'm too dumb to figure out how to manipulate it to fit on forum. But I would be happy to send you a photo ...send me your email in a private note....

I suppose if you bought a gun - you could send it to their custom shop and have them swap out cylinders they use on a 5" model....to the 2 5/8" ....that would be way easier than swapping barrels...( in theory ...the lockup on cylinders in the 2 models should be identical ) these new guns are no longer hand fit like the old model 27's - but I have not tried swapping out cylinders on my pair of 627's...:eek: .....

But I suspect the cost of swapping cylinders ....will just make you wish you had bought 2 guns ( the 5" and the 2 5/8" instead )... you know you really want both anyway :D

Skans

The finish looks lightly polished - not even close to mirror polished - just enough to make it pop a little but still look classy.

upstate81

Skans, i gotta ask ya, how long have you been lusting over this revolver? Seems as though i have seen threads over a year old about you wanting this snubby .357mag. What are you waiting for man!?:D You have more restraint than me thats for sure. :eek: Regarding the op, all i can say is i agree, finish looks great. It looks like the owner sat infront of the tv with a tube of flitz and a soft rag for a few hours. Not hard to do at all. I have done that numerous times. I find it therapeutic.

Skans

Yes, I'm really slooooooooooow to pull the trigger. Sometimes, I like wanting something more than having it. If it had a 2 3/5" barrel, it would be mine.

jackmoser65

That's what a stainless steel finish should look like. It was obviously done by hand and all in one direction. Not the usual swirls you typically see. Possibly scotchbrite, possibly finer.

BigJimP

Not a big deal...but the model 627 perf center revolver ( shorter barrel is 2 5/8" )...

I have carried mine a little bit ...in a Kramer leather, IWB, N Frame, horsehide, with a forward FBI tilt...suitable for a 4" N frame ( so I can carry my model 27-2 4", my 627 2 5/8", or the 3" 629 ( .44 mag ) ...

I train at range with the N frames...in an OWB, Kramer holster...as well.
( but I don't carry a revolver much )...although I have K frames ( model 19's and 66's in 2 1/2" and 4" as well )..and some K frame holsters.

Skans

( shorter barrel is 2 5/8" )

Yep, that's what I meant. S&W would be smart to shave 1/8" off that barrel so that it can be referred to as the 2.5" for marketing purposes.

BigJimP

Yes, but their website is such a mess....its even hard to find the short barrel model 627....:D

Did you get my email ?

upstate81

Skans, i know what you mean. Usually the hunt is as satisfying as the purchase. I really like that model as well and if i ever find a decent used one it shall be mine.

Skans

Yes, Jim - what are you trying to do to me...push me over the edge to get one of those beauties???:D It's working.

BigJimP

Yes, .....don't ask gun guys if you should buy more guns...:D

Because the S&W website is such a mess....remember, both of the model 627's I have ..the 2 5/8" and the 5" are both round butt frames../ no square butts available in the 627's - at least from Perf Center.

Last edited:

gbran

SampWs_zpsqaq9gug5.jpg

Chainsaw.

Looks like the regular s&w finish, maybe a VERY light media blast??

Those grips look like they are from the Pou Ferro collection by Houge.