S&W 625 in Colt or 45 ACP

JBP

I'm interested in bidding on one of the 625s that is posted on auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com. I'm not sure if I want the 45 Colt or the 45 ACP model. Can I use 45 ACP in the Colt model with moon clips?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
There probably isn't enough clearance between the rear of the cylinder and the front of the breechface to use moonclips.

I prefer the .45ACP 625 personally; if I ever get the urge for more horsepower, a conversion to .460 Rowland is just a trip to Clark's Custom Guns away.

BADSBSNF81

I'm in agreement with Tamara. Got a 625 in 45 ACP 13 years ago and never regretted it. It you just have to have a 45 Colt in a DA I would look for a Model 25.

lonegunman

Tamara is right, if you put a moonclip full of ACP in the cylinder of the LC, you wont be able to close the cylinder because the rims and moonclip are too thick.

You cant put 45 AR in the 45 Colt for the same reason, rim is too thick.

I had the same question as you though, whether to go with 45 Colt or 45 ACP.

I went ACP because I found a nice gun at a good price. In retrospect I am glad I got it first. Ammo choices are better and more available.

But I will still get a 45 colt if i ever find one.

Bob C

I've got a .45 Colt Mountain Gun, and it's one of my favorites. Lightweight, pleasant to shoot, particularly with CAS loads, and with the right loads capable of handling any outdoors, or indoors problems I expect to encounter.