S&W 625-6

croyance

I just saw a used S&W 625-6 at a gun store. It looks pretty interesting to me - the idea of a .45 ACP revolver seems fun.
What is the signifigance of the "-6"? When did they start making the "-6" series?
Any comments as to this gun? What is a good price?
Also, if I end up getting one, is there a recommended brand of clip to use? Is a special tool to remove empties from the clip worth the cost? Anything else I need to get over and above a regular revolver?

Thank-you in advance for your help.

Bods Oddkin

All clips are NOT created equal. Some are real soft and get all deformed. The best clips are still the old military surplus (half-moon style), if you can find them. Either way, they're cheap, so try a few different sources if you get clips that bend too easily. The clip tool is also inexpensive and worth the money, and it saves a lot of wear and tear on the fingers. If you roll your own, grab some auto-rim cases while you're at it -- eliminate the need for a clip altogether. I bought mine new about thirteen years ago for around $450, and used ones are going for about $500 to $550 here in the Northwest right now. Someone else will have to fill you in on the "-6" significance. Oh yeah, they are fun. Enjoy!

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Most of...

...my full-moons are from Wilson Combat. Haven't had the bendind problems with them that I've had from some unidentified ones I got earlier.

De-mooner is worth its weight in gold.

dewey

deMooner

I've tried 3 different tools and the Dillion is the best. I thought I'd 'save' some cash and take the cases out with a screwdriver but after 20 minutes removing 24 shells I ordered a tool ! I've had/have a number of ACP Smith revos and really like them. Enjoy.....dewey

Half-moon clips stink!

They're tough to load and tough to unclip.

I bought a dozen generic full-moons for .50 cents per, and the demooner for $2.00, at a gunshow several years ago.

So far I've only had to toss one clip, and that was because I forgot the mooner one day and bent it while trying to unload by hand.

JoeHatley

croyance,

The fullmoon clips sold by Dillon are great. If you use full moon clips, you'll really want to get a de-mooner. I use the California Comp model, also from Dillon.

If you want to skip the tool, take a look at the 1/3 moon clips from www.moonclips.com They work great and no tool is needed. They also have the benifit of allowing loaded clips to fit in a regular ammo box. Of course they are too slow for competition, but for casual shooting they work great.

A used 625-6 in nice condition is probably going to be priced around $500.

Good Luck...

Joe

mikey357

As far as "moonclips" go, I GREATLY prefer the "full-moon" clips to the "half-moon" or "third-moon" jobbies...
I'll also second what Tamara said...I've used 'clips from many manufacturers, and the ones from Wilson Combat--along with the ones from Tom Kilhoffer at "moonclips.com"--are head and shoulders above the rest!!!....mikey357

croyance

Thanks for your comments.
After further investigation, it is a Performance Center 625. They want $699 for it. I'm hoping I can talk them down. It looks like only the barrel has been cleaned. Fortunately it has not been fired much. The aluminum case it comes with looks pretty beat up. The trigger is amazing! Best single action pull I've experienced anywhere.
The original price was $749, so I have to believe it is a few years old.

knzn

Back in the old pin shooting days, full moon clips from Ranch products were the only choice for dependable, durable use.

You can make an inexpensive demooner with a piece of pipe and a hacksaw. Cut the pipe long enough to hold six empty cases, and with the hack saw make a cut in right down the middle of the pipe on one end about 1/2 inch deep. Then clamping the pipe horizontal , make a cut (1/2 inch back from the end, if you first cut was 1/2 inch) and cut off the 1/2 by 1/2 inch piece you just made. Harder to explain than to do.

Now you can just slip the cut end over the empty case and twist, the case pops right out. Do it six times and your little pipe has six emptys in it. Email me for a better discription on the process if you need to, and I will try harder to explain.

Bill
knzn@hotmail.com