S&W 610-3: Initial Report

RWK

Earlier this week I bought a NIB Smith 610-3, the 3.875 inch/full under-lug barrel model. This is my fifth S&W N Frame and my first 10mm. Yesterday was my first opportunity to fire the 610. A brief report follows:

a) Moon Clips. Moon Clips lived up to my expectations; they are FAR easier to use than speed loaders and caused no problems or difficulties with two the types of 10mm and the two types of .40 S&W ammunition fired. Further, I opted to use RIMZ moon clips only. They are EXCELLENT: easy to load and unload with out any tools, flexible, durable, and well-engineered for the Smith 610.
b) Quality. The 610’s quality, fit, and finish are impeccable. This revolver compares favorable with all my other N Frames, including my 30+ year old, P&R’ed, beautiful, five-inch 27-2. Although I have only fired 220 rounds, I strongly suspect the 610’s reliability and durability will both be outstanding. In essence, it appears that Smith's revolver quality is again superb.
c) Reliability. As expected, the 610’s dependability was simply flawless. Not surprisingly, there were no failures-to-fire, no jams, and no problems of ANY sort with the approximately 220 rounds fired.
d) Accuracy. At seven, ten, and twenty yards (all indoor, it was raining heavily in the DC area yesterday), I achieved the same levels-of-accuracy with this 610-3 that I consistently attain with my other S&W N Frames and my Ruger GP-100s. Groups – with all ammunition fired – were consistently less than three inches at ten yards and under five inches at twenty yards (this is all “off hand” firing, not deliberate target firing, both single- and two-handed).
e) Ammunition. I fired 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle 180 grain .40 S&W TMJ, 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 180 grain .40 S&W FMJ, 20 rounds of Winchester Silvertip 175 grain 10mm, and 50 rounds of CCI 200 grain 10mm FMJ. All were accurate and all functioned perfectly with the Smith 610-3 and the RIMZ moon clips.
f) Other Observations. Recoil was very mild – the 610 is, after all, an N Frame, with substantial mass – target reacquisition was fast and easy, accuracy was excellent, functioning was perfect, and both the 10mm and the .40 S&W appear to be potentially outstanding self-defense and competitive (target, IDPA, bowling pin, and so forth) rounds when fired from the Smith 610-3.

To summarize, I was very pleased with this initial experience and very impressed with the 610-3. The four types of .40 S&W and 10mm ammunition I used were accurate and functioned faultlessly. The RIMZ moon clips were also outstanding: easy to use, requiring no tools, fully compatible with the S&W 610, and very durable.

Attachments

• S&W 610-3.jpg
    S&W 610-3.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 371

Raider

Excuse please. Did I understand you to say that the 610 fires both full power 10mm and the 40S&W? Not to sound stupid but this is just too good to be true.

If this is true, I might take a look. Does the revolver have the key lock?

Thanks

RIKA :)

P95Carry

Hmmm .... that sounds altogether very good. I am new to moons with my M625 . and love em ... as you say - there's no quicker way to dump cases or speedload.

I have not looked at .40 or 10mm .. doubt I will but - glad this piece has proven so much to your satisfaction ... always nice to know. :)

RWK

To answer Raider's question, the S&W 610 fires both the 10mm and .40 S&W . . . and it requires moon clips for BOTH cartridges (not the .40 S&W alone). Also, current production S&W 610s have the internal lock – although stupid, this does not bother me . . . I just leave it unlocked and “throw away the key” – however, older model 610s do not have the internal lock.

Last edited:

kidcoltoutlaw

don't take my word for it but check it out

it will fire 10 mm with out moon clips.do some checking you will see.i have the manual in the safe, but im sure it will.its slow to reload but it does not have to have moon clips for the 10 mm,thanks,keith

RWK

Keith,

Page 12 of the latest, on-line modern revolver manual (http://swcustomersupport.vista.com/userimages/Revolver.pdf) on S&W’s web site states: “Whenever rimless pistol cartridges are used in the cylinder of a Smith & Wesson revolver, (except M547) full or half moon-clips MUST be used to both position and extract such cartridges. Failure to use ammunition clips with rimless cartridges may result in malfunction of the revolver”.

I am not suggesting it cannot be done, but provide the above for your use.

Regards.

scottys1

Just checked with my 610. I haven't actually fired it this way, but the cylinder is bored so 10mm headspaces on the case mouth same as an autoloader. It looks as if it will fire but will not extract without a moon clip as the extractor has nothing to push on. .40 ammo falls into the chambers too far to fire reliably. I recommend always using moon clips.

RWK

Scottys1 –

I agree with your conclusions 100 percent (and wish I’d said it as well as you did). In my 610-3, it appears that: (a) 10mm could be fired, but not extracted with the standard “revolver star” and (b) .40 S&W could/would enter the cylinder’s chambers too far to fire.

In addition, as I attempted to point out to Keith, I believe Smith has the directions quoted in my last post to this thread for a reason, and -- personally -- I will follow those instructions just to be “on the safe side”.

Regards.

kidcoltoutlaw

i use moon clips myself

all i mean is it can be done.i have not even tried it.others say they do it with no problems.even so i will still use moon clips i have 101 of them no reason not to use them,thanks,keith

mikemck

I shoot 10mm without moon clips in my 610 with no problems at all.

Sometimes it just baffles me, all the back & forth and speculation, when all you need do is actually do it, and find out for yourself one way or the other.

What exactly is it that you think will happen if you shoot 10mm in your 610 without moon clips?

scottys1

I think that firing 10mm in a 610 without moon clips would work just fine other than being slower to extract and reload. I suppose for target shooting it might be easier than mooning and demooning ammo. Just never tried it that way.
I got my 610 for various reasons, but I've used it mostly for IPSC matches where fast reloads are essential. Moon clips are the best speedloader ever invented. It's also easier to find your brass when it's clipped together in nice 6rd bundles rather than sprayed all over the countryside from an autoloader.

rwmagnus

RWK,
Glad you like the 610. One of the ranges I use has been selling lots of them. I still prefer the 625 as I'm an old warhorse from the 45ACP days. Not to mention the selection and availability of bullets makes this platform pretty nice. The 625 just shoots softer to me than does the 610.

I also use the RIMZ clips for IDPA competition and have found them to be a great product. Most of my friends shooting in this class also use the 610 guess it's becomming the more popular choice these days.

Enjoy the pistol!

Got

Great report RWK! I'm in the process of getting me a 610.

I'm curious, how was the recoil of the .40s compared to the 10mms? I heard that the .40s have a sharper recoil than the 10mms, is that true?

RWK

Got,

Both the 10mm and the .40 S&W, in my opinion, had rather mild recoil:
> The .40 S&W (and these have all been 180 grain) had somewhat more recoil than .38 Special (130 grain) target loads, but much less than “weak”, low-pressure .357 magnums or any .45 Colts (from similar size/mass Smith N Frame revolvers).
> The 10mm were also not “hot recoilers”, obviously slightly more stout than the .40 S&W, but, again, far more benign than any .357 magnums or any .45 Colts (from similar size/mass Smith N Frame revolvers).

My expectation is even the hottest major/commercial 10mm rounds (I am NOT suggesting this applies to all hand-loads) will not cause uncomfortable/uncontrollable recoil from any S&W 610.

Regards.

Got

A couple of people who have 610s have told me that they have shot them with out moon clips. They had to bend a couple of fingernails to get the cases out, they told me.

RWK

This whole “without moonclips” thing surprises me. Not only does the Smith instruction manual suggest moonclips for both 10mm and .40 S&W in a S&W 610 (see the reference in one my earlier posts to this thread), but – and much more important – I am finding RIMZ moonclips a real joy to use: no tools, durable, flexible, and very easy to load/unload by hand. Incidentally, moonclips are MANDATORY for .40 S&W rounds in the Smith 610.

Although I really like revolves, and especially Smith N Frames, this 610 is my first “moonclip wheelgun”. I now understand why folks who use them, swear by them (for competition, ease, IDPA, defensive carry, and so forth). Further, the RIMZs remove all the hassle of moonclip use. I don’t think I’ll have one of my Ruger GP100s or one of my Smith 27s/627s chamfered to accept .357 magnum/.38 Special RIMZ moonclips, but I certainly can appreciate why people do so.

Another thing I have found interesting is how MUCH more accurate the .40 S&W is – in my hands, this is not a “universal truth” nor a “slam” at semiautomatics – from my Smith 610 than from either my Glock 23C or my Sig P226. Until I bought and fired my 610, I felt the rumors of marginal .40 S&W accuracy had some validity, since I could not achieve the precision I routinely do with .357 magnum, .38 Special, 9x19 and .45 ACP loads. However, from the 610, the .40 S&W has been quite accurate, certainly in the same category as all my other handgun rounds.

I really like the 610, and RIMZ moonclips have added to my enjoyment and to my admiration of the 10mm/.40 S&W from a fine, high-quality revolver for many, varied applications: defense, target and plinking, small- and mid-game hunting, competition, and so forth.

Drundel

RWK:

Finally got one eh? ;)

Nice! I still haven't got mine, bought two beretta and benelli shotguns, but I still want a 6.5" Classic 610. If I get this new job and a 20% raise, might have to get one finally, then a 627 and 629 and 625... :D

scott45b

My experience with both the 10mm and the .40 in the 610 is similar to the .357 Mag and .38 Special in their respective guns. Both cartridges can be loaded "hot" if necessary. The "little brother" of the RIMZ 610 clip, the RIMZ 646 was just released and in distribution. This clip fits the 6-shot "L" frame .40 cal S&W.

Scott