S&W 5906

branrot

My latest gun fantasies have revolved around the S&W 5906. I always thought the controls were spaced a little far for my medium/small hands, but have been considering one lately nonetheless after seeing a friend of mine's S&W .40 (not sure which model; single stack with 4 inch barrel and bobbed hammer). I also like the fact that 15 round clips appear cheap and plentiful. Still haven't decided on fixed or adjustable sights, rounded triggerguard or not, or whether to go with the tactical model (what's the difference anyway, if you know?), so advice on that would be helpful.

Disclaimer: I'm sure that it will be a pre-sellout gun already sitting on the dealer shelf, so answers may be submitted without the political speeches.

Other guns in the running are a Desert Eagle .50, a Glock 20 (I already have the 23), and an HK USP (not sure which model yet; I like the 40C, but can't get hi-caps). I've already got a bunch of other guns, so while suggestions of other possibilities are appreciated, I may already have them.

brionic

I'm very happy with my 5906.

Since its purchase in 1989, not a single misfire. Not one. That says a lot about my admiration for this weapon.

Great "invisible" design items like the integral bbl-bushing and polished feed ramp, IMO, have added to the reliability of this weapon.

Mine has the old style triggerguard, which I prefer. It seems a bit more spacious, and I like the style of it, along the lines of a Sig or USP.

The weapon is comfortable enough with the stock grip. Little perceived recoil anyway with any load, given the weight. I installed a two-piece Hogue grip, which is just a shade more comfortable and sticky, but is bulkier and is straight, unlike the curved stock grip. If you have smaller hands, the added girth might make it harder to manipulate the safety and slide release.

Mine is a straight shooter. I purchased it with adjustable sights, which I haven't touched since I set 'em for 10 meters. If I could do it again, I might choose the Novaks. I like the 3-dot system. This may have been the first main-stream system to use these sights.

One thing I REALLY like about the 5906 has to do with the trigger in SA: I've found that if I don't release the trigger too far after firing, follow up shots are quick and accurate. This may be true for other weapons as well.

Some people don't care for the safety systems. For example without a magazine inserted, the weapon won't fire. OK, valid concern, but not one that keeps me up at night. Count your shots! Also, some 1911 and Beretta types don't like the "backward" safety. Again, a trainging issue that never bothered me.

As far as the Tactical series goes, it's S&Ws stock "custom" gun group. They incorporate mods from the Performance Center, such as changing the slide for better contact with the frame, altering the bbl lock-up, and, IIRC, "choice" trigger group and hammer components. Also I think they use alloy instead of stainless for the frame. Sounds good to me; probably not as affordable as a stock 5906. It might be hard to find one used...

The prevalance of this weapon from years of use by LE agencies guarantees that parts and accessories will be around for years. Spare factory high-cap magazines are plentiful. Also, my few dealings with the company have be pleasurable. At this point I wouldn't buy anything from them, but I would be happy to contact them for any warantee issue. Thankfully it's never been needed.

I hope I've addressed all your questions. It's a fine weapon, robust, well designed, and accurate.

Regards,
--
Brian

[This message has been edited by brionic (edited May 10, 2000).]

FUD

branrot, are you going to get an earfull now. I realize that my OPINIONS may not be shared by others, but I consider the Smith & Wesson PISTOLS (don't care too much for their REVOLVERS or their Sigma series) to be the best around -- able to hold their own against the rest. I own several of them (both full-size and compact ones) and they are accurate, safe, reliable and I think that they LOOK better than others as well.

The 5906 is the third generation version of the 59 model which was the first hi-cap DA/SA regular production pistol in the world. The early models had more than their share of problems but that is usually the case with things when they first came out.

Even their second generation pistols have had problems and I think that this is where their poor reputation comes from when compared to other pistols. But their third generation pistols are top of the line. I have fired Colts, Brownings, Sigs and I can tell you that S&W third generation pistols are able to hold their own.

(Just as a side note, my BHP does point better but it's an older model and does not feed hollowpoints that well)

Within reason, I can own any gun that I want. It's a S&W pistol that I reach for when things go bump in the night and it's a S&W that I'm wearing in an inside the waist belly band as I type this post. I trusted my life when I wore a uniform to a S&W 659 (the second generation version of the 5906 that you're interested in) and I trust my life to them now.

The 5906 is a fine good. Try it, you'll like it and you'll be glad you did. For more info, check out the Smith & Wesson Web Board -- which, in no way is affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson of Springfeild, MA.
View

Brian, did I understand you correctly in that you liked the old style triggerguard? That was one of the things about their line that I really hated and I was glad when they went back to the more round look (but different strokes for different folks).

Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD
fud-nra.gif

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited May 10, 2000).]

Tecolote

Ditto on the positive posts on the 5906. I would urge to not buy one unless you can make sure it's a pre-sell out item. Even then your purchase will still contribute to SW as the shop, unless they're boycotting SW, will likely order a new one to replace the sold item.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

FUD

Tecolote, I spoke to a few shop owners about this and they've told me that while they will continue to sell S&W products, they will NOT sign or agree to any of the terms that S&W is required to now impose on those that sell their product.

The plan being, that they can not be accused of boycotting S&W products. They are willing to sell S&W products under the old rules and if S&W insists that they follow the new rules (as required by the HUD agreement), then it will be S&W that will appear to be boycotting the various dealers and not the other way around. (not sure if i explained that very well or not)

FUD
fudeagle.gif

SlackO

I miss mine lots! Sold it to get a Glock. Kinda fat grip, kinda heavy, but recoil was nuthin. Do it!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, FUD,

If I understand correctly, dealers will not be able to obtain any S&W product unless they become "S&W dealers" and sign the agreement. S&W will sell only to S&W distributors; S&W distributors have to agree to sell only to S&W dealers, and S&W dealers have to agree not to sell to non-S&W dealers. So the only way a non-S&W dealer could obtain S&W products would be to buy them at retail price as an individual.

(IMHO, that whole thing is going to blow up in a hundred lawsuits and maybe be voided by the courts even before it goes into effect.)

Jim

FUD

Jim, that's sort of what I was trying to say. The dealers (that I have spoke to) have put it this way: "We are more than willing to sell your products (no boycotts -- no restriction of trade, etc.) BUT we will not agree to any new guidelines that you want to impose on us (as required by the HUD agreement). If you do not wish to supply us with your products under the EXISTING guidelines and choose not to do business with us, then you (S&W that is) are the ones who are boycotting us.

I agree, this is going to turn into a big legal mess with everybody suing everybody.

brionic

Hey FUD,

Yes, I like the funky original trigger guard. I know, I'm funny that way. But I liked the squared off style when I bought it, I it just looks "right" to me now, sort of peculiar to this model. I've never owned any other S&W pistols, so it doesn't look funny to me like it does to other people. I wouldn't like this shape on my revolver, though!

I'll bet that your dislike of the design has to do with possible snagging during a draw from holster, eh? Not a concern for me.

Regards,
--
Brian

Gunslinger

Buying a new Smith from a shop that plans to continue to (re)stock with more new Smiths is lying down with the enemy. Regardless of what the dealer is daying about their personal feelings they are still sending money back to Smith if they restock. As Jim said I believe that Smith will not, can not according to the agreement, do business without signing the agreement. There will be some low life dealers that will sign the argeement and then deny it and/or restock without telling their customers.
Branrot, decide which model you want and then buy used. If you have trouble locating the model you want post here and I for one will help you locate (a used) one. Or e-mail me direct and I will help locate one for you that is not sending money directly back to Smith & Wesson, directly or indirectly.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

FUD

Gunslinger, you bring up a good point about dealers signing the agreement and then telling customers that they didn't. Of course, as long as I see AR-15's coming & going in & out of the store, I would say that it is a safe bet that the dealer hasn't signed the agreement yet. Yes? No?

Ben

I really like S&W auto's as well. I will consider buying S&W's UNTIL they decide to ENFORCE the treaty... if I can find a good deal. When they decide to enforce the contracts, that's when all of my transactions STOP.

I don't like the big metal ears thay put on their adjustable-sight models though. That's a giant turn off. I like the the rounded triggerguard best, and the alloy frame would be the way to go if you can find one. They are 10 oz lighter than the steel frames. Square triggergurds belong on Glocks, but not S&W's.

Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited May 10, 2000).]

FUD

Ben, well put ... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben: ... I will consider buying S&W's UNTIL they decide to ENFORCE the treaty ... When they decide to enforce the contracts, that's when all of my transactions STOP ...[/quote]... This reminds me of a story from the bible where a father asked two sons to go work in the field. One son said "yes" but didn't go while the other son said "no" but ended up going anyway.

The point being that actions speak louder than words. Colt didn't sign any agreement but has pretty much pulled out of the civilian market telling us that they don't want to do business with us. S&W, on the other hand, is still willing to do business with us. I think that the market should decide this. While I like their current line of pistols, have no interest in buying one which contains their new "safe" features. Consequently, a gun dealer will need to decide whether selling S&W is worth the additional headaches that it brings.

I see one of three things happening:<OL TYPE=1><LI> The agreement being null in void in about a year with things being back to normal and the "smart" features being shelved.
<LI> S&W disappearing from sight the way Colt did.
<LI> Wide-sweeping legislation making the S&W agreement look like a day in the park.</OL>

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited May 10, 2000).]

Gunslinger

The latter will be the outcome if buyers continue to purchase Smith & Wessons.

Fud, to answer your question about the AR sales from a shop, I'm not sure. I can not see how Smith & Wesson can regulate (check) gun shops to see if they are in complinace. My fear is that gun owners whom are trying to support the boycot will buy from a shop with the belief that the shop will not restock while they (the shop) continue to bring new S&W's in the back door. When the agreement was originallly signed we were told that dealers were returning guns to distributors, which in turn returned them to Smith. Frankly if Smith wants to play this game by their own rules they should want the guns back from dealers/distributors that do not comply with their deal with the devil. For that reason I feel any new Smith sitting on a dealers shelf can and should be retuned period! Don't buy it simply bacause the dealer isn't going to replace it.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

ROSANGHAL

Hey Branrot

You say you have medium to small hands. Have you looked at the 6906. It just might be the package you're looking for. The hi-caps are still 13 rounders.

Hmmmmmm. Wonder where you'd be able to find one with factory hi-caps. You know what would even be better is if you found one customized, maybe.....by Ted Jacobson.

It would even be better if it was a Pre-agreement Smith then you'd still have one and in your own way show that you still favor the rights we deserve.

WOW!!!! You're not gonna believe this but look at this :) :)
http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=41361

Ross T. ;)

FUD

With regard to hi-cap mags for the 6906 -- pick up a copy of Shotgun News and you'll still see ads there for brand new ones.

Ben

The 6906 is one of my favorite little S&W's. An original capacity magazine holds 12 for a total of 13 if you keep one chambered. Look at the 4013 if you want to take a step UP in caliber, but still want a good carry piece.

Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Rusty S

I have a nickeled 39=2 that seems to end up getting put into the suitcase when I go somewhere more often than is fair. Might be something to do with it always working and always hitting what it's pointed at.

Far as fitting smaller hands, try the DAO versions of the 5900 series. At 5'4" and size 8 shoes, the K frame was the upper limit of what fit me well. My 5944 is close to the size of the K frame model 19 in trigger reach, and there isn't anything to manipulate. But the da pull every time I haven't gotten over. I can turn a k-frame into a six shot machine gun. With a slight hitch between 1st & 2nd shots, same with a 39.

I became a pistolero when my scoped 9422 came apart and my open sighted high standard sharpshooter only gave 50% larger groups at 100+ yards. I quit being a pistolero after a couple years without practice, and found I could still do with a rifle and no practice, what I'd sweated blood for to do with a pistol. I like Clint Smith's comment that the pistol is to give you a means to fight your way back to the rifle ( or shotgun ) you should have had in your hands to begin with.

Of course we all have our personal preferences. I find an 18" khukuri very comforting in the dark wee hours. Rusty

On reflection, make that a 20" khuk.

------------------
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

[This message has been edited by Rusty S (edited May 10, 2000).]

FUD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben: ... Look at the 4013 if you want to take a step UP in caliber, but still want a good carry piece ...[/quote]I have the 4013TSW (actually, I suspect that I have close to every traditional DA/SA pistol that S&W has made within the past decade) and I find it a bit bulky for concealed carry unless you're wearing a jacket or untucked shirt. For concealed carry, I would recommend the 3913TSW. The 4013TSW is a fine home defense gun as is it's full-size counterpart -- the 4006.
View

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited May 11, 2000).]