S&W 5906 problems ejecting

EastSideRich

I was hoping to get some help diagnosing a problem or what to look for to figure out what is wrong.

I have a 5906 which keeps leaving spent cases partially ejected.
It did this to me about a year ago. The spent case would stay in the chamber, about halfway ejected, and the next round would get jammed up into it. It was a real pain in the arse, as I couldn't do the tap rack bang thing, because you would actually have to remove the magazine to clear the jam.

Well, the extractor finally broke, I got it replaced, and chalked up all the problems to a bent extractor.

Fast forward to now which is maybe five hundred rounds later, and it's now doing it again. Until now (after the extractor was replaced) it has been problem free, but last time I brought it out I had three of the same type of jam in about 75 rounds.

Any thoughts as to what could be going on, or what I could look for to figure out whats wrong?

EastSideRich

Gun is thoroughly cleaned after every time out.
I don't reload and usually shoot WWB (all three of the jams last time were this).
Before the extractor broke it would happen with whatever I was shooting - WWB, S&B, and Remington UMC.

HuntAndFish

Was the extractor spring replaced when you put a new extractor in? It's possible that the spring is weak and as the extractor wears the spring finally isn't strong enough to hold the extractor on the rim.

If you take the slide off of the gun and put a fired case on the extractor, will it hold it on the breach face while you move it around?

Looking at the tip of the extractor: Is the angle of the extractor hook neutral or positive with respect to the breach face? If the angle is negative then the extractor may not be holding onto the case.

G. Freeman

FTE's in the 5906 do happen on some guns. S&W is aware of this. The only fix is to send it to S&W. They will re-tune your extractor and may even change your barrel. I used to have a 5906 TSW that had the same problem. It went back to S&W twice before it got completely fixed.

g.willikers

Widely spaced, or fatigued magazine lips can cause this.
The top round in the mag gets out prematurely and blocks the outgoing case.
The jammed rounds could have put an unnatural stress on the extractor and caused its damage, also.
Has this happened with many magazines or just the originals?
Just a thought.