S & W 5906 need help.

marano

I recently purchased a nice 5906 in an auction. The grips are not in real good shape but the rest of the gun is excellent. Does anyone here know how to take off the factory grips? Is it something I should do myself or is there sensitive parts involved. I want to replace the grips with factory grips. Do you think Smith has the originals for sale?

ISP2605

You'll see a small roll pin in the base of and rear of the grip. Using the right size punch just push that pin out. Then pull the grip off down and away. There will be a spring and guide. Pay attention to how it goes as you remove the grip. Assembly is just the opposite.
S&W should have grips.

marano

Thanks...

for the info. I shot the gun yesterday and it shoots well. Do you own one and if so how has yours been? I really like the look and feel of the gun.

ISP2605

Don't have a 5906. Mine is a 5904 which was my issued duty gun for several years. I carried S&W autos for 20 yrs on duty. The 5904 was one of the best. When we transitioned from one model to the next I bought all mine back. The difference is yours is stainless and mine has an alloy frame and is blued. They're built like tanks. They'll take many thousands of hot ammo with no problem at all.
Enjoy it. Unless you just happened to get a rare lemon it should give you many many years of excellent service.

9mm1033

I carried the 5906 as a duty weapon for years. In fact, the department still issues it for patrol officers. However, I've heard rumors the new M&P has been turned down, possible for a SigSauer handgun. Not gospel. Anyway, you have yourself a tank. Many PD's carry that model today.

Hkmp5sd

Depending on when the gun was made, S&W might send you replacement grips for free. They had a recall on some of the grips due to a problem with the grip possibly disabling the gun if it was dropped. Call them and have them check the serial number.

ISP2605

Hkmp5sd is exactly right. The early grips would crack easily if dropped and cause the gun to go out of action. There's a spring held in place by the grip.
Something to check for. In the pix below you'll see a small detent at the end of the white arrow located between the mag well and a larger approximately 1/8" hole. That detent is on the newer grips. If your grip doesn't have that detent then it needs to be replaced. There was a recall on the older grips and all the newer ones are marked with the small detent. Give S&W a call and ask if they'll replace your older grip.

5904BUTTa.jpg