S&w 5904

Laker

Been looking at a S&W 5904 in 9mm. Priced at $400. Any thoughts on the gun and the price? Thanks.

dabigguns357

here is a web site i have used,it's www.gunsamerica.com i was just looking at the model you described and found a 5906 whis is the stainless model to the 5904 for only $425.00 with 2 14 round clips.I also saw a S&W 4046 .40 cal just like mine for $330.00 with 3 hi-cap mags.Any 3rd gen S&W will be a great addition to your collection.Hope this will help you.

Laker

Thanks for your reply. I've looked at most of the online sites. The one I've been looking at is local and has three high cap mags. I think the price is in the ballpark. I'd be interested in opinions on performance as well as price. I could own it as soon as tomorrow but would like to be sold on it by an experienced owner. Thanks.

dabigguns357

I think i may be able to help with the owner experience as well,just go over to the S&W forum and sign up.There is a guy who is talking about in a thread right now.

b.thomas

Don't have a 5904 but do have a 910s for the last 6-7 months, even with close to 1k rounds thru it's been totally reliable pistol. My brother has a 39** series 9mm for about 10-15 years or so.....same thing, gun always works great with about any brand ammo you shoot thru it.:(

*wish I bought another Smith and Wesson third generation pistol rather then the damn ruger p95 I'm stuck with..........nuttin' buy trouble with the p95?:(

CDH

I bought a 5906 quite a while back, and I like it overall except for the fat grip.

At the time, I thought that was something you had to live with, but I never felt as if I could really get a good grip on it so I was never really comfortable with it.
Fast forward to recently, and I was tickled to see that there actually are some high-cap pistols that feel very comfortable and "grippable", so my 5906 hasn't seen any use for a decade or more.

I really like everything about the pistol except that one thing, so if you handle one and like how it sits in your hand, then it will be a great pistol for you.

ISP2605

My dept issued 5904 for several years. They're very well made, they'll shoot a lot better than most shooters, and very reliable. It's highly unlikely you'll wear one out. One of our range guys decided to wear out a 5904 by shooting it to death using our issued W-W 115 JHP+P+ ammo. At around 50,000 rds he replaced the barrel because he'd shot nearly all the rifling out of the original. Some time along the way he replaced the springs but I forget the rd count. When he retired he had about 85,000 rds thru it. He bought that same pistol and as of a couple of months ago was still shooting it. Knowing how much he shoots he has to have over 100,000 rds thru that same gun and other than some holster wear it looks pretty good.
How likely will it be that you'll run 100,000 rds of +P+ ammo or any kind of ammo? Consider the cost involved. If you can find a deal on that ammo at $20 a box you'd spend $40,000 on the ammo. A $400 gun is pretty cheap compared to the ammo prices. If you would buy $40,000 worth of ammo figure how long it will take you to shoot it all if every Saturday of every week during the entire year without fail you fired 50 rds. It would take you 38 years to fire all the ammo.

SMITH910

I also have the S&W 910 I bought used years ago (a very similar pistol) and it has NEVER misfed or anything. Totally reliable.

sundance43.5

The 5904 is a great gun. 3rd gen Smith autos have their detractors on here and other boards, but I am convinced most of them have never actually owned one. They are the best value in auto pistols today.

The 5904 has an alloy frame, so it will be lighter than similar sized autos.

As for the $400 price, that seems on the high-end of average. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for one, as they can be had all day long at that price.