S&W 5903 SSV

anonimoose

Shooters,

Any of you Smith & Wesson third-generation auto fans heard of the 5903 SSV (Short Slide Version)?

acf3000.jpg

It's apparently a 69xx slide on a 59xx frame. Considering all the after-market support for the 59xx series (at least compared to the 39xx or 69xx series) -- including Crimson Trace laser grips -- I find this combination intriguing. Alas, only 1500 were made?

This sounds crazy, but could you just make your own version by...putting a 69xx slide from one firearm onto the 59xx frame of another firearm?

Very Respectfully,
Moose

The S&W 59xx series as I understand it:

5903 - aluminum alloy frame
5903 SSV - discussed above
5903 TSW - with the rail
5904 - ???
5905 - ???
5906 - stainless steel frame
5906 TSW - with the rail
5924 - ???
5943 - DAO variant of the 5903
5943 SSV - DAO variant of the 5903 SSV
5943 TSW - DAO variant of the 5903 TSW
5946 - DAO variant of the 5906
5946 TSW - DAO variant of the 5906 TSW

Lucky 7

Interesting write-up. I enjoy 3rd Gen S&W autos and had never seen this model before.

Here's something to update your list:
5904 Alloy Frame, Blued Finish
5905 Steel Frame, Blued Finish

There's a guide as to what the S&W numbers are supposed to mean floating around here.

Regards,
Lucky

MidwestRookie

here's a list I found and posted here a few months back..maybe it'll help.

Here’s the rest of the codes for any one who wants to know

Chambering is known from the first two digits

39XX = 9mm single stack
59XX = 9mm double stack
69XX = 9mm
10XX = 10mm
40XX = 40sw
45XX = 45acp

The type of action, the size and over all configuration is stated by the 3rd digit

XX0X = Standard size, standard action, standard slide mounted safety
XX1X = Compact, standard action, standard slide mounted safety
XX2X = Standard size, with frame de-cocker
XX3X = Compact, with frame de-cocker
XX4X = Standard size, Double Action Only
XX5X = Compact, Double Action Only
XX6X = Non standard size, standard action, standard slide mounted safety
XX7X = Non standard size, with frame de-cocker
XX8X = Non standard size, Double Action Only

Non standard size is usually a shorter barrel and slide on a standard frame, this somewhat mid size class is basically only seen with the 45acp and 10mm guns, for the 10mm guns this is as small as it gets.

The finish and material use is know by the 4th digit

XXX3 = Aluminum frame / Stainless steel slide (the frame is gray to match the slide)
XXX4 = Aluminum frame / Carbon steel slide (the frame is black to match the slide)
XXX5 = Carbon steel frame and slide.
XXX6 = Stainless steel frame and slide

Once you get an under standing of the numbers it’s not that bad and with the wide range of models and options I guess they had to come up with something.

Note* The 69XX is about the only one that brake these rules, for example the 6906 is basically an aluminum framed compact 5906 (or compact 5903), The aluminum framed compact version of the 3906 is the 3913 so I have no clue why S&W just did not call the 6906 a 5913.

Last edited:

carguychris

5905 Steel Frame, Blued Finish
FWIW S&W didn't actually produce every possible permutation of the 3rd-gen numbering system; I'm not sure this gun actually exists.

I don't think S&W built any 3rd-gen 9mms with a steel frame and anything other than SS finish. (IIRC .40S&W and .45ACP are another story.)
5924 - ???
Instead of the usual S&W slide-mounted decocker/safety, "2" as the third digit (xx2x) indicates a frame-mounted decocking lever similar to those used on SIGs. Most of these guns were produced for LE special orders.

As noted above, I don't think the M5924 was actually produced, but the M5923 and M5926 certainly were.

Que

I have a 5943 SSV, the DAO version. I acquired mine a few years back pretty much brand spanking new for something like $275. DAO guns always go for less and at the time I had no clue what it was, and the price was right, and I could tell that it was unusual, so I snatched it only to later realize my good fortune. Mine is also two-toned which wasn't all that common in a gun where relatively few were made to begin with. I suppose the idea of the SSV was that a shorter slide would reduce weight while maintaining capacity.

BarryLee

Wow, very cool gun neat to see another variation of the Third-Gen. guns. I have the standard 5903 which I bought new and really like.

It appears that they designed the SSV to be easier to conceal, but they used the frame that features the finger grip on the trigger guard. However, it seems like they would have used the frame without the finger grip area to be consistent with the low profile design. So, does anyone know if this was the only frame available at the time?

Que

Mine has the rounded trigger guard front. I don't think the SSV was so much about concealibility as the grip heigth dimension would be more the variable in play. Its a lot like the 4516 where barrel/slide length was the weight saver on a duty pistol as opposed to one which was aimed at concealment.