S&W 5903...opinions and experience?

Sparks1957

Hi all,

Just saw a S&W 5903 in a local shop today in decent shape for $300. Only comes with 1 magazine, and shows a little holster wear, but seems to be a good deal.

I used to carry a 3913 years ago, and always had considerable respect for the 3rd generation S&W semiautos.

What do you all think about the 5903, and what experience do you have with it?
Should I pick it up at that price?

BarryLee

I purchased one new “back in the day” and have really enjoyed the gun. Obviously condition impacts price a lot, but that sounds like a decent deal even if it’s got some wear.

attachment.php

btmj

5906 is stainless

5904 is aluminum alloy

5903 is .... I forgot... ???

Too lazy to look it up, someone remind me what the -03 signified?

TunnelRat

-03 is also alloy, just with a stainless steel slide. -04 is alloy with a blued steel slide.

Excellent gun at a good price. Grab it.

Last edited:

Shooter_Libby

I'm surprised these guns aren't more popular. I know they aren't polymer or one of the latest tactical pistols, and I know they might seem a little dated, but they are damn fine guns available at a price that can't be beat these days.

smee78

$300 is good for that gun but again it all comes down to condition. I think I would pick it up for that price.

jtmckinney

My 4003

Attached is picture of my 4003 I picked up approx 5 years ago from a co-worker who purchased it new. Low round count and not a scratch on it. Paid $400 and I wouldn't take $600 for it today no matter what the market is. Proven 100% reliable with good ammo.

Hope this is on topic for the OP but are there any known problems with the alloy frame such as cracking or other? Mine doesn't get shot a lot but something I have been wanting to ask.

Last edited:

Wreck-n-Crew

I think you will love it. Some great guns and I wish they still made some of the all steel models.

Actually picked up the 910 the other day, it's an economy line with polymer sights and guide rod with a single safety de-cocker on one side (can be moved to the other).