S&W 500- shot some ballistic board, won a bet.

MrDontPlay

Yesterday my friend had some 3/4" ballistic board. His dad bet me $100 my 500 wouldn't shoot through it. I said I'd bet him $5 since it stopped a round from my AK last time and I had $5 in my pocket. I believe the rounds were magtech 440gr semi wadcutters @ 1600 IIRC. All five went through an left the back side in bad shape. Too bad it cost me $15 to win!!

I also shot it with 5 hornady 350gr HPs @ 1900fps and they would not go through, so it is some pretty stout stuff. I'm not sure what it's rated for or anything.

484269b5.jpg

bamaranger

what

First I've ever heard of "ballistic board".

From the pics, it looks like paneling with a layer of kevlar or similar laminated within????

What exactly comprises "ballistic board"?????

Lost Sheep

Where do you get that stuff?

It seems that your 3/4" ballistic board would be the perfect thing to put at the end of my hallway (which is the entry to my bedrooms/safe rooms). That would be perfect for protecting my neighbors from over-penetrating bullets.

By the way, my Chronograph wears two pieces of channel iron to protect it from stray bullets. It has taken a shallow shot from rounds such as yours from my friend's 4" 500 S&W with no damage at all (just a little smear). But I am not going to shoot it straight on.

Lost Sheep