S&W 500 -- 10.5" Barrel Version -- Easy shootin'

jg0001

As noted in other posts of mine, I recently picked up the S&W 500 with the 10.5" barrel (the 'big' one of the bunch; most youtube videos of it show the 8 3/8" barrel version; you can tell the difference by looking at the barrel as the compensator on the 10.5" sticks out beyond the rest of the frame and it is pre-drilled for a bracket/sling setup).

Anyway, I had some Cor Bon Hunter ammo with me for shooting it. This particular Cor Bon ammo was 350gr and hollow point. I shot my other 4 guns first, saving the big boy for the finale. I then loaded just ONE bullet into the cylinder and carefully rotated it into position. I must have tested and checked my grip about 10 times before I finally pulled back the hammer for a single-action shot. Again, I affirmed my grip, being sure of the placement of my thumbs after reading a comment that someone ripped off a part of their thumb on one of these babies (true or not, it left an indelible impression in my memory).

At last, the moment arrived. With a clean target about 10 feet away (yes, wimpy, I know), I squeezed the trigger, the gun went BOOM, and ... well, nothing. It didn't flip up on me noticeably at all. In fact, it didn't hurt or sting any part of me any more than my full size 45 does.

Granted, the above was done with 350gr ammo (which cost me $3 a round at the range). I also have some 500gr non-hollow point Hornady ammo (which is an impressively yet larger bullet :) ), but I didn't have the nerve to bring it along today. Next time though, for sure.

Now, I'm not a big guy, nor do I have Popeye's forearms or a grip of steel. I have to say that both the BOOM and the recoil were far far far nicer than I could have hoped to expect.

I suppose if I had the 4" version of the gun and 700gr ammo (again, as seen in a youtube vid), my reaction would have been different. I will certainly be trying the 500gr stuff next, and if that is manageable, I'll dial it up a notch and try to special order some of the 700gr stuff. In the meantime, I'll be ordering a 200rd bulk pack of 350gr from Cabela's to bring my cost down to $1.50 per shot, with the intention of letting loose 15-30 rounds on my next trip.

Below is a picture of the gun, shown with the 350gr Cor Bon ammo that I used.

2bp854.jpg

Sorry that the above pic came out a little dark and shadowy, here is the same gun in another pic with the rest of my collection.

20upe1z.jpg

2Evil4U

I had about the same experience with mine. It is imposing but with the muzzle brake and the mass you can shoot it all day with 300 grain rounds.

The 500gr shells are the same with just more rearward recoil pressure. Still no noticeable barrel flip or drama. Just keep a good grip and you should be fine.

jg0001

So I guess the question is, why all the drama on youtube and in 'general' comments regarding the brutality of this gun? Even the rangemaster where I shoot was going on and on about how he shot one before and it was punishing. I invited him to shoot mine (after I had). (He declined; I think he just didn't want to use up a $3 bullet, despite my pleas for him to give it a whirl.)

I can't imagine everyone else who's tried the S&W500 is shooting anything more than 500gr, as the 501+ stuff seems to be special order. I also doubt most of them are shooting the shortie version. Most of the youtube vids I came across were using the 8 3/8" barrel. Would there really be much difference from that barrel length to the 10 1/2"?

jg0001

Those stickers give the guns a new look ;)

That and they're like the *HOT* warnings on coffee. Yeah, you should know better not to stare into a laser beam, but god forbid some idiot does so.

jg0001

JimM, the 10 1/2" barrel version comes with a sling and with the hardware to attach it to the pre-drilled holes. I've seen holsters for the 8 3/8" barrel version in leather, but for the 10 1/2", I've not really seen much. For kicks, I placed the gun at my side to see what it would look like in a holster -- it would extend down to the top of my knee. I don't have the chest or underarm area for a gun this size, so I don't know where else it would go, if not on the sling and tossed onto my back.

azredhawk44

Those stickers give the guns a new look

That and they're like the *HOT* warnings on coffee. Yeah, you should know better not to stare into a laser beam, but god forbid some idiot does so.

Yeah... but...

THEY ARE AIMING DEVICES!:eek:

Seriously... if you're looking at the laser it means you have the barrel pointed at your head. The effect of the laser should be the least of your worries at that point, and sensibility should prevail in regards to the actual gun rather than the beam of coherent light.

I dunno: they ain't my guns, but the stickers are kinda ugly and make the Ruger billboard seem tastefully subdued.

jg0001

Yeah, I finally got around to getting World War Z. Reading it presently. The survival book was more fun, so far.

jg0001

'Ruger billboard'? I don't get the reference.

The guns in the multi-gun pic, from top to bottom are:
(1) S&W 500 w/ 10.5" barrel
(2) Browning Buck Mark Contour Lite 7.25 URX
(3) Kimber Custom Covert II
(4) Sig Sauer P226 Crimson Trace (in 9mm)
(5) ...and to the left, Walther PPS (in 9mm); shown with 6rd mag; I also have the 7rd and 8rd mags, which have grip extensions.

#4 remains my favorite overall gun (the one I'd want if I could only have one), with the Kimber a close 2nd.

Molasses

'Ruger billboard'? I don't get the reference.
Ruger billboard:
MVC-008F-3.jpg

Here's mine with the sling attached:
MVC-007F-2.jpg

Not my favorite way to carry the thing and the sling spends most of its' time in the blaze orange backpack so it's available when I need to drag deer or climb into a tree stand, etc.

jg0001

Molasses, what scope do you have on that puppy? I think I may get just such an accessory for mine. Also, what bullet size is pictured in your shot (bullet grain that is).

Molasses

Molasses, what scope do you have on that puppy? I think I may get just such an accessory for mine. Also, what bullet size is pictured in your shot (bullet grain that is).

Scope is a Weaver 1.5-4X. Like it enough that I have two of 'em, the other one's on a .45-70 Contender barrel.

MVC-009F-1.jpg

Bullets in the pictured ammo are these 385gr. Remingtons sold for handloading. Don't know if they've started since, but back when I first found them, Remington wasn't making a .500 load so I suspect it's a projectile they make for use in sabot slug applications w. a cannelure added. Doesn't show up well in the pics, but the jacket has kind of a swirled or screwed together look where the jacket's scored below the mouth opening. Sure opens up like nobody's business at .500 velocities. I took some of my loads in to work and had 'em shot for P&V data and the ballistics tech decided to do expansion testing at different ranges just for giggles, which is how I got those expanded ones. That's a ruler w. inch side up propped just behind the lineup.

Ozzieman

“So I guess the question is, why all the drama on youtube and in 'general' comments regarding the brutality of this gun?”
My guess is that all the liberal newies are worried about some of the gun nuts trying to shoot down commercial aircraft at 20,000 feet with that anti aircraft gun.
But that’s just a guess.
I would really like to shoot one, and pay the $3 per round to do it.:)

alienbogey

I shot my buddy's yesterday, a 4" (?) barrel version with 500 grain anti-bear loads - he carries it while fishing in Alaska.

I shot five rounds and said, "Thanks, that's enough."

I found the recoil to be very stout and the web of my hand was sore.

It was fun but I don't need one.