S&W 460 price?

smee78

Hi everyone,

I was looking at a few local pawn shops and one had a used S&W 460 8 3/8 regular XVR model for right about $850, what do yall think about the price? I already reload for 45colt so I could feed it but havent thought about picking one up until now. I've shot the 500 before and dont have a problem with recoil so....what say yall?

smee78

Ya I'm thinking about it but I already have a Redhawk 45 so I'm having a hard time really think about what I would use this one for.:(

codefour

A 460 S&W Mag is a great round. Especially in the XVR platform. The question is do you need it or want it?

The 460 Mag gives you mid-level 45-70 performance from a revolver. It has true 300 yard hunting range if you are capable. For average deer, hogs, and black bear within 100 yards, a hot 45 Colt is plenty adequate.

But the flexibility is awesome..!! I only shoot 460 Mag through mine. I load 300 grain slugs from 1,400-1,900 fps.

I would not trade my XVR for anything. $850 is a steal! But I have only hunted handgun with my .44 Mag. The .44 Mag is still the king. .45 Colt is very capable too.

buck460XVR

$850 is a good price for a used X-Frame is you are gonna use it. It's a lot to pay for something you won't use much. Reselling it or trading it will only get you about that much. The .460 is a great range gun and a fine choice for deer when hunting at ranges more than 80 yards. I have several 629s, including a P.C. Magnum Hunter, which is scarey accurate. None hold a candle to the X-Frames accuracy past 100 yards. The X-frames perform best when loaded with .460 brass at legitimate .460 velocities. If all you are gonna shoot is warm .45 colt loads outta it, stick with a .45 colt.

Mystro

I found the X Frame to be very heavy and cumbersome. Most handgun shots are under 100 yards and even the 44mag can handle shots out to 200 yards so I see no need for one in my collection.
I love the idea but its a solution to a problem I dont have.

smee78

Ya....I may just watch it a little longer and see if the price goes down any lower. I just dont know if I would get a set of 460 dies and really use it, my Redhawk or Blackhawk will handle any 45 Colt loads just fine so I just dont know. :confused: Thanks everyone for your imput so far.

22-rimfire

If you want to shoot long range pistol or hunt deer sized game, get the 460. It is almost always a case of want versus need, so you "want", so the need will follow. Buy it.

Capt Rick Hiott

That is a real good price on the gun.

I looked at big bore hand guns for a long time. I hunt deer and hogs here in southern S.C.
I went with the .454 but the 460 was pulling at me..The .500 is just to much for what I hunt for here in S.C.

What will you use it for?

smee78

Ya like the idea of being able to use 3 different rounds in the 460 VS 1 with the 500. I think I will stop by and play with it again :rolleyes: mabye I will decide then...

DMacLeod

$850 is a good price.

Want versus need…..want wins almost every time.

I am in a similar situation right now with a Desert Eagle 44 mag I can pick up for 1K. (NIB)

Usual price is 1300 to 1550

Sevens

The fact that you handload .45 Colt means very little to me when it comes to whether or not you should buy a .460 Smith & Wesson X-frame. What I mean is... launching .45 Colt from that beast is kind of silly and boring.

However-- the fact that you handload is huge when it comes to possibly wanting to own the .460 Magnum. If you don't handload and you don't intend to handload, the .460 factory ammo will end up looking like a damn car payment. :p

It sounds like you need to go buy that revolver!

And if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't buy even a single box of factory .460 Mag ammo. Not one box, not one round. I'd spend that money on components to handload it. The components themselves will not be cheap in any way, but the factory ammo prices might make your eyeballs pop out of your head on stalks! :eek:

BWM

JUMP on it that is a good buy! They are a sweet gun to shoot. I have shot one meany times and it is fun to shoot. I reload for it.

22-rimfire

The fact that you handload .45 Colt means very little to me when it comes to whether or not you should buy a .460 Smith & Wesson X-frame.

Pretty much the way I feel except I do shoot 480 Rugers in a 475/480 BFR and am quite comfortable doing so. I see little reason to shoot "target" ammo in a 9mm or 40 S&W as the practice doesn't really count for much if the POI is different.