S&W 4516 Mag catch problem

18DAI

While practicing this afternoon, my 4516-3 started releasing it's mags while firing. The result was a click instead of a bang. While excellent malfunction drill practice, it's still irritating. I intend (perhaps intended) to shoot a match Sunday with it.

While the mag was "released", it did not drop free, as they have done, and still do without problem, when I punch the button. The mad simply dropped about 2mm, and the slide closed on an empty chamber. It did this with three different mags. It increased in frequency as the session went along.

So you will have all the factors to solve this, I'm left handed, and was careful that my finger was not contacting the mag release button. I put Hogue rubber grips on the 4516, about a month ago, and this is the first time I've fired it since. I don't recall this ever occuring with the factory Delrin grips. When I tightened my grip, it happened often, with a light grip, it didn't occur. I shined a light up the magwell, and the catch appears to be angled, or angle cut. The bottom of the catch (part of the catch facing the bottom of the mag) is shiny metal, while the rest has a light powder dusting on it. Sorry, no capability for pics.

Last question, will the mag catch/release from a 4566 interchange with the 4516? Being they are different versions of the same model pistol, I'd assume they would. Thanks for the assist. Regards 18DAI.

18DAI

Found the problem. MIM part, mag catch, snapped off inside the magwell. 2nd MIM part I've had break. First was a thumb safety on a Kimber 1911. First problem I've had with a S&W semi auto in almost 20 years of shooting them.

Check your mag catches on the 4516's. Might want to stock a few in the spares box, I'm going to. This pistol was 2004 production. I bought it NIB, unfired, last spring. Round count at the break was around 1200+. Regards 18DAI.