S&W 4506-1 or 4516 Which one?

18DAI

I've been searching about 6 months for a 4506-1 with adjustable sights. Spoke to a guy Monday who has one NIB. Says he'll bring it to the Gunshow Sat. so I can check it out. Wants $539 with box ,and 2 mags. Then my partner calls me and tells me about an unusual 4516 he has located. It has no dash ,lasered markings ,spurless hammer and is NIB with 3 mags. Asking $525. I had searched last year for one of these but couldn't find a clean one. Partner says its a police contract overrun ,so it is made well after production ceased. I'm not a collector ,I'm a shooter. Which would you grab? Don't have enough funds to do both. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Regards 18DAI.

Gixerman1000

Since you wanted the adjustable sights I’m guessing it’s going to be more of a range pistol so If it’s just going to be a shooter than go for the full size 4506, if it’s going to be a CCW then go for the compact 4516.

They don’t make the 4506 at all now and you can still get the 4513 in their TSW line

104551_large.jpg

or the very close 457S

104808_large.jpg

So I would go with the 4506.

BTW I own a 4506-1 and love it, it's smooth accurate and reliable.

Last edited:

DPris

Member Emeritus
The 4516 sounds interesting. If it's a no-dash 4516 it should not have laser markings, they should all be stamped. The 4516 in any variation hasn't been made for a number of years, as far as I know. My 4516-2 was bought in about '95 & I carried it on duty for three years. Still have it.
I don't think I'd buy an original 4516, and the one you're describing doesn't sound right.
Just finished a project with the 457S, well fitted and reliable, but I dislike the plastic disconnector.
Denis

dougpwoody

4506-1 or 4516

4506 is a good weapon in my opinion,i own 3 but mine are all just 4506's not -1's,there is not much diference except the gun is slimmer-01 and the trigger guard is different,slides dont interchange or few other things,but it was still a wonderful gun,im still wishing i had it but these 3 plain 4506'6 do me just fine,but if your gonna carry and conceal i would go with somethingg like gixerman1000 is showin there or 4516,i can conceal a 4506 alot of people cant,they are huge,i even changed one over to 45 super,why,i dont know but its nice

PeterGunn

Just recently sold a 4506-1... sorry it wasn't to you. The price sounds a little high if you compare them to auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com. I would also ask what he means by NIB. Sometimes NIB means different things to different people.

I have owned both, and personally if I had to choose I would go with a 4506. The 4516 is smaller, but it is a heavy pistol when compared to other .45s of similar size. The 4506 is a great shooter and as durable as you will ever need it to be as conversions to .45 super are not uncommon. IMHO, the 4506 is probably the finest DA/SA .45 available... even better in my hands than the vaunted P220 or HK USP.

Enjoy the hunt!

Peter

KurtC

A laser etched 4516 is a contract gun from the late 90's. It is basically a 4516-2, but for some reason they didn't bother putting it on the frame. I believe it also has the blue MIM hammer and trigger.

Both the 4516 and 4506 are great guns. I regularly carry the DAO versions of each.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Didn't know they were still making 4516s by the time laser etching came in, or by the time MIMs showed up. Curious about why it wasn't marked with a dash.
Denis

KurtC

Since the "dash" pistols were discontinued by the time they started laser etching, there may just simply not be a "dash" in their software programming. Just letters and numbers.

Since these 4516's were a limited run for a contract, they probably just marked them by the most inexpensive means possible.

18DAI

Well I went to the gunshow in Greensboro ,and the fella showed up with a 4506-1 with FIXED sights. I already have one of those. So I went 2 aisles over and bought the 4516 with lasered markings for $525. I dont have the capability to post pics, but if you go to Cherry's Fine Guns website the photo is still up. Thanks to all who responded for your advice. I'll let you know how it shoots. Regards 18DAI.

KurtC

That serial number range is the same as my 4586TSW, which I believed was shipped from the factory in 2004.

Nice gun. It is a -2 frame, as it has the longer tang. The -1 had a shorter tang.

buckshott

4516-1

I bought a 4516-1 in the early 90's. I really liked the pistol except for the spurless hammer. I bought a hammer for a 4506 and put it on. Great pistol. Very accurate for a short barreled pistol.

18DAI

KurtC - Thanks for the info. I have a bunch of S&W 3rd gen 45's. I don't know much about the 4516 other than the no-dash had slide inertia problems ,and the -1's were hit or miss on accuracy and reliability ,from what I've been able to discern from this and other forums. I know from your assistance on other posts Ive made that you have way more knowledge about these than I. What can you tell me about the 4516-2? Thanks for your time and assistance. Regards 18DAI.

DPris

Member Emeritus
My -2 reflects the top-of-the-line DA S&Ws that they were. Accuracy was sufficient, and it's one of the most reliable .45s I have. Mine even shoots the Speer shotshells reliably, many other autos don't.
I'd still be carrying it if the safety hadn't done it in one day. Aside from that, it's a fine pistol.
Denis

KurtC

18DAI

In addition to the models 4516, -1 and -2, there were also 4 revisions to specific parts. There is also the fact the the 4513TSW was already in production by the time your gun was manufactured. I suspect your gun is a combination of old and new features.

I would assume (please verify) that your gun may have the newer wide style barrel hood with the loaded chamber indicater (hole).

As for accuracy, the other day I fired a 1991 made model 4556 (DAO version of the 4516) and had no problem keeping 3" groups offhand at 25 meters.

Regarding "tactical" models, here is my 4553TSW that does not have the billboard on it. It is rollmarked just like the pre-TSW models. :cool:

f165b26c.jpg