S & W .44 Mag

joepa

I'm looking at ordering a S & W 629 .44 magnum. Does anyone know the difference between then 629 and the 629 classic? The classic has a full-lug barrel I guess but are there any other differences? I'm thinking about a 6" barrel. Also, will the rubber grip from the S & W 500 fit the 629?? Looking to dampen the recoil a bit with the heavy loads.

There's a slew of 629s and we must be precise in our description. The original 629 was a stainless version of the Model 29-2. The 629-1 is essentially the 29-3. That second number indicates an engineering change and they can be major changes. There have been all manner of barrel options offered and you need to figure out what you want and which model number has the features you seek.

I don't know if the X frame stocks will interchange with any other model but any style you want should be available for an N frame.

Majic

The biggest difference between the 629 and the Classic is the barrel lug. I have heard that the X-frame stocks will fit the K/L-frame revolvers so it may fit a N-frame, but not precise.

Jeffro250

If you want to reduce recoil as much as possible, get the full underlug barrel(629 Classic)...doesnt make a huge difference, but it is noticeable. I do beleive that there are a couple flavors of the classic in various barrel lengths and with or without ports. Id HIGHLY recomend the 6.5 inch barrel, unported. Ive had my 629 Classic for about a year now and its been a great revolver...ive put probably close to 5000 rounds through it and havent had any problems. Put a Bushnell Trophy RedDot scope on it about 6 months ago....makes it much easier to shoot at longer ranges and hitting 2 liter bottle sized targets offhand at 100 yards is fairly easily done.
135_3536.jpg

If all goes as planned, there will be deer meat in the freezer this year from this thing!!

LHB1

The S&W K/L frame grip area (metal portion) is considerably smaller than the N frame grip area. So, any grip that fits the K/L frame will NOT fit the N frame and vice versa.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB