S&W 422--And you guys made me do it.

Ledbetter

That's my story anyway.

In the gunstore today I saw a consignment S&W 422 for less than $200, and I liked it so I bought it. The gun is in new "unfired" condition.

I must have been thinking of all the .22 related posts here lately.

Anybody know about these? Alloy frame, steel slide and odd design--not at all like my Ruger or Buck Mark. Very comfortable in the hand. I hope the trigger works in some--kinda stiff right now.

What is the scoop on these guns. They're not being made anymore, I hear.

Regards.

blades67

You're welcome.:D

The 422 is a great little gun. Mine was very accurate and would digest any .22lr ammunition that I tried. I had the same issue with the trigger, mine broke in just fine.

Sundance

I have a 2206...same gun but with all stainless steel construction and adjustable sights. I have had it for 13 years and it is still going strong with the original 3 mags I had for it. I have put over 10,000 rounds throught this gun with few if any problems. I can't say anything bad about it.

fadingbreed

Great little pistol - my first and I still have it. A little light for my taste, but very accurate and inexpensive to shoot. Give the trigger a little time and it will break in nicely.

McKamie Wilson

I've had the 422 and the 2206 for 14 years or so. Both are tack drivers. I like the looks of the 422 better, but I like the weight of the 2206 better. The 2206 is a terrific squirrel gun. I've had half a dozen Ruger Mark Somethings, but I love the little Smiths. You've got a great pistol. Hang on to it! :)

Mac

Tropical Z

I have one,but for some reason haven't shot it in years.I think i like it.:( I remember something odd about taking it apart-you need some little tool or something-i hope i still have it.Guess i better get that bad-boy out and shoot it.It reminds me of a .22lr 1911.

kdmoore

The only tool you need is a spent case...

You use that in the take down.

Can't even tell you how many bricks of ammo I've been through, but it's a bunch. Been flawless, at least until I let it get REAL dirty, then it takes a bit of CLP to get through the session and a good cleaning job when I get home.

Bought mine for it's lightness but my tastes have changed over the years. But I can't make myself get rid of it or trade for the 2206. It was my first pistol. You know what they say about first loves.

It's a bit heavier now that I've mounted a laser and red dot on it. Talk about fun to shoot!

Can't even tell you how many bricks of ammo I've been through, but it's a bunch.

Thirties

Just handled a S&W 422 today at the gunsmith's shop. liked it so much I put down a deposit on the gun. He is asking $159 and it was his personal gun. The trigger is very light, and I like the fixed sights and the grip, etc.

Plan to pay the balance next week. Looking forward to my new plinker. I wasn't looking to buy a gun, but I couldn't resist this one.

Yodar

Mr

The manufacturer had to re-install the rear sight on my 422 as it detached of its own will...came back quick and the sight was RIVETED on...used to be screwed on and apparently the threads were shot in the soft light alloy. That's the only thing I can think that would make them use rivets.

It's accurate, shoots where pointed and is a decent .22 but I'd rather have a BuckMark.

Trigger's almost as good as my Combat Masterpiece.

Yodar

Ledbetter

No longer come apart

The new mags S&W sells no longer come apart for cleaning. They don't have the depressable "nub" on the bottom. Guess they figure they'll sell more magazines if you can't replace the follower or spring.

Tropical Z

CDNN has 10 round mags for about $20.00,or at least they did have them.I wish i would have got a spare 17 rounder like the one mine came with.:mad:

Thirties

got my 422 yesterday

Shot informally at one of those spiner targets. Out of 60 rounds, hit the 3 inch circle at least 30 times at 30 feet. Gun is a pleasure to shoot, but the first round stovepiped after firing when the magazine was full (10 rounds in), but with 9 or fewer this didn't happen.

Did not field strip and clean before I shot, just checked for obstructions. Hoping I fixed things with thorough cleaning and lubricating I did after.

Also, I painted the sights white after the cleaning. It was darn difficult to see the front sight while shooting (slope very low angle).

Nice gun, may become my main plinker pistol. Trigger was very nice. Barrel shiney new. Want to get to the bottom of the first round stovepipe, though.

--Spiros

clown714

half good

bought one,sold one.

cons:
mag safety
poor sights
mag release(not my tea)
pros:
light weight
100% reliable
decent accurracy

clown

Anon

Yeah, this thread is 5 years old, but why start a new one?!

I have a 422. It seems that the Ruger guys get all the mods and aftermarket parts... what things have people done to modify these fun little S&W's?