S&W 41 (Preowned) Target Gun

MP-5

I came across a 41 the other day (no cocking indicator) and slapped down a deposit. It is in near mint condition and the trigger is ..whoah!! It has 4 barrels:
Standard 5.5
Heavy barrel 5.5
Standard 7.5
7.5 w/muzzlebreak.
(I believe they are all factory barrels)

The whole package for $585
4 years ago a passed up a S&W41 with 2 barrels (5.5 &7.5) in near mint condition for $450 in upstate New York. Since then I have been kicking myself in the butt!! I really dont NEED this 41, (especially w/4 barrels) but I think it is a screeming deal, too good to pass up. Am I overreacting?? Im thinking of mounting a scope on one of the 7.5s. Any comments?

By the way it would compliment my S&W 78G!!

NewLoader

Sounds like a great deal to me. I just purchased a new one with the 5.5"barrel $700.00. Of course went to a gun show the following week spotted one in stainless for $650.00 (never new they made them in stainless!) and one with a set of target grips for $750.00.
I am not an expert but I think the only standard barrels are the 5.5" (Heavy) and the 7.5". Many bullseye shooters will have the 7.5" barrels shortend to 5.5"-6" maybe this is what you refer to as the standard 5.5".
Clark is machining some custom barrels for the 41 http://www.clarkcustomguns.com
The new guns (5.5" heavy barrel) are already tapped for a scope mount. I bought a mount from Weigand it was five times the price of the Weaver mount that was available but beautifully machined http://www.jackweigand.com/.

Have fun!

BTW I want a 78 or 79G!!!!!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Unless there is something seriously wrong with that gun, it IS a screaming deal. If you want a target .22, grab it before it gets away.

Jim

JimFox

Not a good deal at all. Get your deposit back. Send me the guy's name and address and I'll upbraid him directly for trying to take such an advantage of you.

Seriously - wish I could happen across something like that.

Dingo

I'm stretching my memory here but I believe the "standard" 5 1/2" barrel (same profile as the 7 1/4) was called the field barrel and is relatively rare. It's true that a bunch of 7 1/2's have been cut down over the years.

In any case, it's a deal; grab it.

Matt VDW

I just purchased a new one with the 5.5"barrel $700.00. Of course went to a gun show the following week spotted one in stainless for $650.00 (never new they made them in stainless!) and one with a set of target grips for $750.00.

Are you sure that was stainless and not a chrome or nickel finish? I'm fairly sure that the 41 has never been made in stainless steel.

And for those of you looking for a great deal on a 41:

http://www.pilkguns.com/usedguns.htm

The used 41 w/ an UltraDot, Clark barrel and Herretts for $675 is a steal. I'd buy it myself but I've already made the switch from a 41 to an IZH-35M.

TANTOR

Matt
Please, go ahead and complete your payment now!!!!!!!!
Excellent gun, absolutely reliable and a great shooter!
Besides of that 4 barrells? I´d scoped mine with a Bushnell Trophy 2,5x32.
Congratulations!

NewLoader

Matt VDW,

I didn't ask but it really looked like stainless to me. It has been a couple of months now and as memory serves, I think the tag read "Stainless" (Did not look chrome or nickel plated?) The dealer said that S&W only made sixty of them.....

Jeff OTMG

$585 would be a good price for the package. The barrels were $150 each at dealer years ago, so even with only $100 per extra barrel you would only have $285 in the gun. I have seen a few for that price but they were 85%-90% pistols. I would credit the barrels closer to $125 and that would put to into the gun for $210, the price of a used Ruger MkII.