S&W 4 screw M17, How'd I do?

Dr. Dave

I just picked up a 99% 4 screw M17, serial number 3910xx.
It has a 6 inch barrel and is the nicest older S&W I have
ever seen. It looks like it has seen next to no use.
I paid 345 for it. Did I do good?

Can anyone tell me when it was made? It is pinned and recessed, and has a frame mounted pin. Interestingly, it has a second pin similar to that used to hold the barrel near the rear site. I've never seen that before. What do these usually go for?

Thanks

Doug 29

Price sounds good to me. A .22 will be shot MUCH more than any other caliber (and make you a better shot!), so a "good" price is whatever you're comfortable with, in my humble opinion. I believe the pin that you're asking about is holding the firing pin in the frame. Have fun! They are GREAT guns! Doug.:)

Y'all did great

and the price is excellant. Those older guns are getting harder to find and given the condition, I wouldn't argue against the price.

Good Guy

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, your gun was made in 1960. I think you did fine. I bought a NIB 5 screw K22 circa 1955 for $375 a few years ago. Of course it's not NIB anymore. If I buy a gun, I'm going to shoot it.

7th Fleet

I have owned a Model 17, K-22 and it is one of the firearms that I will own until I depart this veil of tears. I had wanted one for years and when my wife gave me one for Christmas back in 1968, I was thrilled. That gun is one of the best Christmas presents that I have ever recieved. Mine is still in 100 percent conditon and has been shot very little.

7th

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
I'd say you did well on the price if the condition is as you describe. You now have the option to 'collect' it or shoot it. If you keep it pristine as the previous owner did, it will increase in ultimate dollar value as a mere commodity, but you will be deprived (as was the previous owner) of the pleasure of using one of the nicest .22 pistols ever made.
I feel for the guy who has had one of these fine guns for years and proudly declares it to be near mint. He might as well have had a picture of a gun to drool over.
I have lots of guns that are in great shape...but they all show honest use. And I have the pleasure of recalling that use. Those who own my guns after me will have less than 'mint' pieces, but ones that have been given the value that comes with use and proper care. That's a legacy that I will feel proud to leave.