S&W 3913 vs. Sig P239

RevolverLover

My wife wants a new 9mm and she's narrowed it down to these two. She has already tried both of them out and likes them both but can only get one at this time. So can you give me your experiences both good and bad. Pictures would be a plus especially if you have both that compare sizes. Thanks :D

Bare Bones

3913/p239

I've shot somewhere between 800/1000 rds. through the 3913 but, other than yhat, have little long term experience with it in terms of reliability and duribility. It seemed to br an adaquite weapon.

The Sig 239, however, Is another matter. I've owned one for some time and found it to be, for me, an excellent choice for a CCW carry weapon. Extremely accurete, highly reliable handgun that shoots smoothly and conceals easily.

If your wife likes both weapons equally and feels good shooting both weapons; based on my own experience only, I would not hesitate to give the edge to the Sig 239. It also seemed, to me, to be the safer of the two guns mentioned...

Either way; shoot safely and enjoy your choice...:D

1/2 cocked

Hello,

The 3913 with Hogue grips is about as good as it gets. I have had both and both are world class. The edge to the Smith.

rodgers330

I have both and either would be a fine choice. I personally prefer the balance of the 3913 as the 239 feels a wee bit top heavy in my hand. Both are exceptionally accurate and reliable. If she likes both, make your decision based on price. I paid a lot more for my 239. Here are photos for comparision- both just about the same dimensions. I've added the Hogue grips to the 239 and the 3913 is stock.

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

MK11

Both are top notch. I don't like the slide mounted decocker on the Smith, so I'd vote Sig.

The P239 is the least ergonomic Sig in my opinion but if your wife already likes it, that's a non-issue. Mine came with a short trigger, which I don't like.

TheEgg

Both are very good, I own both and will not get rid of either.

But, I much prefer the MOA of the SIG.

Marko Kloos

Both are excellent carry pieces, have roughly the same dimensions, and carry the same number of rounds. I've owned both and would be hard pressed to name a favorite...both are accurate and very reliable.

The SIG would probably be my choice if I had my pick, since the manual of arms does not involve an external safety. The 3913 has a mag disconnect and an external safety, which may be a more desirable thing to some. It's all personal preference and hand fit, but with these two top-shelf pistols to pick from, she'll come out a winner either way.

porkskin

s& dub all the way. it is lighter, equally reliable, and has the manual safety/disconnect that truly make it safer to store if need arose. my old neighbor was a sherriff's deputy and told me that in the courtroom they carried a round chambered, but with the mag out so that it was useless if grabbed, but instantly ready by inserting the mag. some prople prefer glocks and sigs to by pass these features. depends how committed the wife is i suppose.

rellascout

Either one will serve you well. I am more of a Sig guy. I don't like S&W autos. just my $.02.

Mag disconnect is not a plus in my book. Hate them Hate them. In process of removing one from my newly aquired BHP.

For CCW it is useless. As a duty gun maybe. The whole point of CCW is that they don't know you have a gun. How would htey grap it before you put the mag into it. Why would you carry it without a mag in it?

Please help me understand?

9mm1033

They are so close. Close your eyes, grab each one with your shooting hand. Which feels best? That's the one for you.

porkskin

i meant you can leave a round in chamber w/o mag for storage purposes if kids present. slap the mag in and you are dancing with no slide rack neccessary. to each his own. i personally like a weapon with a manual safety.

Eric Larsen

Well IMO, Sig saw a market for the same gun the S&W makes in the 3913 and created the 239. Both are top shelf CCW's and deserve a look.
Id say get either one...you can find LEO 39** trade ins for a song if you look around.
Shoot well.

Nail Shooter

My wife really likes the way the Smith feels in her hands. Almost got one awhile back because of that. Have read good things about this model.

I have shot two different P239's--both accurate as a laser--very reliable too!

Between the two guns, I'd personally buy the Sig.

NS