S&W 3913 or Sig 239?

SDforce

Hey guys, just wanted your opinions on the S&W 3913 (TSW included) and Sig 239 in 9mm. Which would you carry concealed? Don't tell me to get both cuz I ended up doing that once with two other guns (bad willpower). I know some of you (or most of you) don't like S&W but try to be somewhat objective. Thanks.

S&W autoloaders are tempermental and have a high number of lemons IMO (I have had two such S&W lemons). Also, in my experience, S&W autoloaders have poor SA triggers. The only positive thing I can say about S&W autoloading pistols is a nice smooth DA trigger (which really is only used for the first shot anyway).

My Sig P239 has been 100 percent reliable, very accurate, and the triggers (SA and DA) are excellent. There is just no comparison IMO. Get the Sig!

Sport

My 3913 is about a dozen years old.
Lots of rounds through it. Totally
reliable and exceptionally accurate.
The trigger pull leaves something to
be desired. A bit gritty on d.a.
A lot of take-up on s.a. A friend has one that
has had a trigger job and it's sweet.
I like the size of the 3913 and 239 for
personal carry.

If I had to make a choice between the two today,
I'd probably go with the Sig. I've heard nothing
but good things about them. I believe the 3913
needs trigger work before it is in the same league
with the Sig.

J. Parker

SDforce; I've owned neither but I do and have owned Sigs and S&W semi-auto's. Here's my most recent experience- I tried like hell to trade or sell a S&W mod 457 (compact 45). I could not do it. Was it because of political reasons? I don't know. A gunshop offered me $220.00 for it! Just something to think about if you ever decide to trade or sell it. I'd go with the Sig. Good Luck, J. Parker

Mike H

The Sig P239 is the finest 9mm handgun I have yet fired. It is much improved by the addition of a Hogue finger groove soft rubber grip, but this depends of course on the size and shape of your hands. For a gun with such a comparatively short sight radius I thought the accuracy that a mediocre shooter like me could attain was verging on the surreal. The trigger was also perfect IMO.

There were just 2 drawbacks, first the Sig's slide release is like a piece of bent tin and women shooters usually have trouble with it (several recent posts to that effect), second being a single stack the mag only takes 8. I know that's only 2 less than everything else these days, but it is a consideration nonetheless. Most people get either the .40 or the .357, but IMHO it is a gun that suits 9mm , load it with Golden Saber or Gold Dot 124 gr +P and you will have a world class combo.

Regards,

Mike H

Grayfox

I carried a 3914 (blued version of 3913) for quite a while. I liked it. Mine was completely reliable. Accuracy was good and the trigger ok. The only change I made was to scrap the factory plastic grip for some Hogue wood.
While it was a good gun, I never really fell in love with it. When thew CCW law changed here to allow SA autos, I sold it in favor of a 1911.

jimmy

FWIW, I'm a SIG fan, but I'd also give a thumbs-up to the 3913. My 3913 is well made and reliable, even if not quite the quality of a SIG. Basically, I'd consider the choice between a 3913 and a P239 to be a win-win situation.

SDforce

Thanks guys

Thanks for all the input guys. Keep 'em coming. The agency I'm getting on with only allows Sig, Beretta, Ruger and Smith. Plus 9mm is biggest caliber you can go with. The other calibers allowed are .380, .38spl +p and .22. The duty issue round is 9mm 147gr (I think it's the Federal Hi-Shok).

I'm gonna go with a Beretta 92fs Inox for duty and Smith 342PD for backup. Was wondering whether to get the Sig 239 or Smith 3913 (can't get both, gf would kill me). I used to have a Sig 226 in 9mm so I'm familiar with the SIG controls. I've fired the 239 and I liked it a lot (except for the DA trigger pull). For a gun with a barrel that short it was extremely accurate. The SIG is nice, but I dunno why I feel "drawn" to the Smith.

I have tons of time to find out for myself. I just wanted your experiences and opinions. Which conceals better? Thanks again guys.

AlexGRT

I think the 225 is more in line with the 3913. I prefer the 225 over the 239. I actually prefer guns that fill your hand so I find the additional length of the 225 to fit my hands better.

GregM

I have a S&W 5906 and a Sig p225. The S&W trigger in my opinion is better than the Sig; both DA and SA. The single action reset on the S&W is absolutely awesome, but the Sig is more accurate. This is a tough choice, i'd say go for both and just try to cover your tracks with the lady!

Greg