S&W 3913, like new

Trooper Joe

Just picked up this nice 3913 today.

Had just the curved base magazine but several weeks ago I found a new flat base magazine at a Gander World store for $7.00. Bought it to use with my CS9 but little did I know I would find an actual 3913 a few weeks later.

Got it with the original box for $450. Been reading the various reviews on the internet tonight and it looks like I really lucked out.

Love my new (to me) CS9 with the modified 3913 grips on it. Now I have a nice companion piece. I can't believe how great these 3rd generation S&W's are. It is kind of like, "Where have they been all my life".

Will give S&W a call tomorrow and find out what year it was born.

Trooper Joe

Last edited:

KyJim

I carried a3913 for awhile (the LS model). Very nice pistol. The only reason I stopped carrying it was because the safety was backward---up for fire and down for safe/decock. The safeties on my other semi-autos were frame mounted with down for fire. I didn't want muscle memory to screw me up if I ever needed it in an emergency. I still have it.

Metric

Very nice! Nothing says "1990's" to me like a S&W 3rd gen auto.

In a world where all-metal pistols become ever more rare and expensive, I anticipate that these will only get more desirable.

unit 900

My primary carry pistol is a 3953, the DAO variant. I added Hogue rubber grips and this pistol fits my hand and points better than any other I have. I had an excellent trigger job done and the pistol just works in its intended role. When I'm forced to go to Baltimore, I do carry my Glock 19.

smee78

Nice addition, I have one of the 3913LS models and it really is a great carry gun. I swap between it and the 3953.

Trooper Joe

1st time at the range

Went to the range for the first time with my 3913.

Accumulated 5 magazines since I bought it (stock with finger rest, flat floor plate, 2 new old stock mags for a 908, and one 9 round magazine with a spacer).

All the mags worked perfect except for one last round (fmj 115 grn) semi-stove pipe in the mag that came with the gun. Couldn't get it to do it twice.

Works great with the issue ammo my old department uses (Federal 147 grain, non +P, P9HST2) as well as various ball ammo.

Tried to limp wrist the gun and could not get it to malfunction.

Found out the gun was made in October 1989 (the same time I retired from the Michigan State Police).

May rotate this with my newly acquired CS9.

Trooper Joe

Ibmikey

Trooper Joe, I found a 3914 the other day my friend imported from Israel, except for not having the box I received an unfired pistol with both magazines ( finger grip and flush) . Prior to retirement I ran the firearms program for a good sized PD and did all the weapons purchasing. S&W 5906, 3906 and 3913’s were the issue weapons for many years, bulletproof design and super accurate pistols. We carried them with round in chamber, decocker in off (fire) position DA first shot.

jaysouth

I have been carrying one of these or the blued version for decades. Get a good holster. holstered, carry it with the safety off. no need of for a safety in the holster. Carried loose in a pocket or desk drawer or car console, engage the safety.

If you have to leave the gun unattended in a locked car or desk, remove the magazine. It will not fire without a mag.

If you have a room temperature IQ, you can master the safety that some called "upsidedown".

sigxder

3913 is a very nice weapon. Still prefer my SIG 239 9mm. Think it's a bit more accurate. But still a great gun. Congrats.

eastbank

i have had mine for about 20 years and its my one of my warm weather CC pistols, i never had any problems ftf-fte with it. I only carry top shelf defence ammo in it.

claydoctor

I found a mint one about ten years ago at LGS. Previous owner had fitted Pachmayr grips and it really fit my hand nicely. I think I paid $350.I don't shoot it as often as I should.

JERRYS.

I removed the magazine disconnector on my gen 3 guns. had S&W stayed in the game for repairs if needed I'd have kept them. but because they were everyday ccw guns and not just range guns or safe queens I figured with my luck I'd need something done and either have to pay a lot of a gunsmith to fix or sell it at a big loss. I wish you luck with yours, they really are some of the greatest guns made.