S&W 39-2 nickel?

smee78

Hi everyone,

So....... when I went to pick up my 3913NL from the store the other day they had a good looking 39-2 in nickel with the pachmayr wrap around grips, while I hate the grips the gun looked good, It is only the gun with one of the orginal mags. It was priced $455 and I'm thinking I need to pick this up? I am such a sucker for a good looking single stack 9mm.:eek: What does the brain trust think about the price? I already love my S&W 639 so this will keep it company.:D

carguychris

IMHO $455 with nickel, one mag, no box, and Pachmayr grips is a decent price, albeit not a "Run Back There And Buy It NOW" price.

OTOH if you can talk them down... :)

There's one caveat: fairly common S&W's like the M39-2 seem to take a proportionally bigger value hit for blemished nickel than for slightly worn bluing. At this price, a handful of pock marks or scratches are OK, but any flaking, peeling, or deep pitting should knock the value down substantially.

Skans

^^^^ What carguychris said. Condition on these guns is a bigger consideration. I will say, I don't see many nickel 39's anymore. They are pretty guns when the nickel is in excellent condition. Classic nickel bling brings good curb appeal.

If buying, look under the rubber grips first to see if the nickel finish is still in good shape. It can get blotched/etched/worn beyond a "flitzing" revival.

smee78

Well I did go back and and check it out, I pulled the grips and it looked ok, nothing major, just one little spot but I could live with it, I was surprised how good it looked. I was able to get it for $435, so I went ahead and put it on lay a way. It has the aluminium frame, I was able to check it out with a magnet, now to find a good set of grips.:D Thanks yall for the help on this one.

hAkron

you can get M39 grips from Thailand on eBay. They are pretty nice too, but be ready to fit the screw holes a bit.

hAkron

I do love the 39 series.
Here is my 39-2 nickel
eveduge8.jpg

My beater blued 39-2
syra3a8u.jpg

a2yge5a4.jpg

439 (has nicer grips now)
4y2ybaze.jpg

ebuhunaj.jpg

39-2 frame with original 39 everything else
qunajagy.jpg

smee78

Thanks for the pictures yall, thoes are some great looking guns, I dont know what type of grips I will go with yet but I may go for the "pimp" look and get a set of stag grips....I just dont know yet.

Last edited:

smee78

This gun is on law-a-way, I hope to pick it up some time in the next few weeks. I still havent had time to post pics of my 3913NL due to work, there are just not enough hrs in the day it seems....

smee78

Anyone with a few more pic's? I am still waiting to get my gun so anyone with a few more pics would be great.

dgludwig

IMHO $455 with nickel, one mag, no box, and Pachmayr grips is a decent price, albeit not a "Run Back There And Buy It NOW" price.

Well, I might not run back but I'd be returning at a brisk walking gait-and at the price you finally paid ($435.00), I might even break into a trot...:)

Brit

Re Post #7

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/Mancave/m39-2006.jpg

This pistol looks like it has been nicely melted, rounded off?

Does any one remember the ASP conversions, all melted, cut through grips/frame, slot in magazine (you could see how many rounds) were left.

Special sights. Lou Allesi had one, he demoed it for me, shot it into a lead blanket, used hard ball.

When the Sun came out, 5 holes shined through the back door. Also the rounds went through the construction trailer (it was empty thank goodness)
lead blanket doesn't stop hard ball.

bgdv1

I had a nickel 39, was my very first pistol. traded it away when I was young and dumb and broke. wished I still had that gun. it had the wood grips on it and was super clean.

orsogato

This is one nice pistol. My dad bought one back in the late 80s for about $250 that we have had in the family all this time and shoot often. $455 seems a bit - not so great but hey the times are a changing as far as prices go!

smee78

Thats why I'm glad I got it for $435, I really like the melted looks and feel of the 9mm single stack guns. They just work for me.:)