S&w 386

DMMikey

has anyone checked out the Smith & Wesson 386 nightguard? I haven't seen one in person yet, but the size and weight intrigue me. It is reasonably lightweight, which should make it fairly easy to carry, holds seven rounds, and is big enough, and enough heavier than an airweight J frame that it should also be somewhat easier to shoot.
On a sort of related note, I would guess this model has MIM parts.
I know that many on the board hate MIM, so I am sure I will be opening a can of worms here. I know that at least initially, I saw a lot of reports of MIM parts breakage. But not so much lately. Reading about the process, it does appear to have some advantages when done correctly. Have any of you had recent experiences with MIM breakage? Or have the manufacturing teething problems been worked out? Or maybe it is only being used in more suitable locations now?
Wanting to hear your input.
PS - this is my first posting in a long time. I have been lurking for about 4 to 5 years off and on. So easy on me!

Thanks,
Mike

DMMikey

I guess this model is too new...

Apparently, with no responses, nobody out there has a 386 yet.
Its a snub nosed, scandium framed, stainless cylinder, I think "L" framed revolver. .357, seven shot, about 21 ounces. Would try to post a link here, but I can't get into S&W's website at the moment.
It sure looks interesting. Will need to see how it handles, what kind of trigger pull. My only S&W revolver at present is a 317, the airweight .22, which is notorious for a very heavy pull.

Mike

dairycreek

I have had a 386 Mountain Lite for about 4 years. Same frame as the Night Guard you mention in your post but mine has a 3-1/16" barrel (see pic)
Copyof386.jpg
and an aftermarket grip for the S&W 500 (which fits the 386 quite well) as a "hedge" against the 386's recoil.

Over the time I have owned and shot the 386 I have found it to be both rugged and reliable and, on occasion, have carried it as a CCW because of its weight. My main concern with the 386 is its substantial recoil when shooting almost any 357 ammo. 38 special and 38+P still produce "noticeable" recoil but nothing too bad. Accuracy has been, for me, acceptable. I can put 7 rounds of either 38 or 357 stuff into a 9" paper place at 25 yards (two hand hold but with no rest) with no problem at all - over and over.

The factory grips are IMHO way too small for much shooting (they don't do much for controlling the recoil) but just right for concealed carry use. On the other hand, the S&W 500 grips really do tame the recoil but are a bit bulky for concealed carry. Go figure!

The size of the 386 is really optimal IMHO and I certainly recommend it as a fine firearm. Hope this background info helps some.

Elvishead

I'd buy one, I think they are cool. But I don't need anymore short barrel .357s.

I had a chance to see one in person at the Shotshow in Vegas a few month's back.