S&W 386 Scandium Experience?

dairycreek

I saw a "&" Scandium 386 in the gun store the other day and it caught my fancy. On a L-medium frame with 7 shots coming in at 18.5 oz empty it looks to be a good carry weapon - which is exactly its purpose. While I am not bothered by heavy recoil I do have reallyl large hands. But, it felt okay when I held it in the shop. The price tag was $599.00 which is spendy. But, this was in the least expensive gun shop in the area.

I am looking for input on this particular gun. Sure would like to hear from those who have any experience with the 386 but opinions are sure welcome too. Thanks in advance.

speed

Good luck gettin an answer!

I asked the same question not to long ago and got little response.

Maybe you'll have better luck?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I have a 296Ti, same frame, fewer chambers, bigger bore, enclosed "Centennial" style hammer.

Trigger was a little junky out of the box, but luckily a skilled 'smith and a set of Wolff springs were within arm's reach at the time.

After installing the new springs, refitting the hand (which was too tall) and giving the ejector star a quick touch-up (both the hand and the star have, in my experience, been frequent problem areas on more recent non-Performance Center *&*'s) the gun has a buttery smooth DA trigger that is a joy to pull.

18.9 ounce .44 Special is a little, um, zesty, but should be more than manageable in a .38 Special +P.

The trigger problems on recent *&* are not something one would notice unless one has a lot of experience with good DA revolvers. Many people seem to think they're just the bee's knees, but I have to wonder what they are comparing them to.

dewey

It all depends

I've had mixed experience with Smith & Wessons over the part 2/3 years. Most of the PC guns I bought have been a 7 on a scale of 1-10 action wise, while quality has been somewhat higher. I've slicked the actions myself. Standard production guns have been so-so.

The new M640 .357 I bought this weekend was very well finished but DA was at least 12 pounds. I KNOW ONE THING....anyone who goes lighter than the 24oz. of this piece and plans on practicing with strong mag loads better have their deductable paid. After 50 rounds I had had enough.For comparison, when I shoot my .44Mags I normally shoot 2 to 300 rounds. Best....dewey

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Dewey-

the action on my S&W 629 Classic is fantastic;
just as it came from the factory; but my 686
is a bit on the heavy side. Not a smith myself;
so what do you recommend?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

mec

First and foremost, put a few boxes through it

and it may very well settle in all by itself. Not being a smith myself ( I do know how to get the side plate off without buggery), the most I'll do is clip one coil off the trigger return spring and polish the rebound slide. Haven't had to do anything else to get what I want out of them.

VictorLouis

I asked the same question not to long ago and got little response.
The gun simply hasn't been out long enough for the membership to get any experience with it. We have plenty of of S&W stocking dealers in Phoenix, and I saw my very first one only this past weekend.:eek: Then, there's that whole agreement thing, and plenty of us who don't buy NEW Smith products.

Personally, I think maggies in that gun are too much for most mere mortals. If your intent will only be to carry .38 anyway, then you can likely get a great deal on a M242. It's the same thing Tamara described, only in a 7rd. .38 chambering.:)

SGT405

I have a 386PD, 7 shot,L frame @17.5 oz. Your price was very good. Here in Richmond Va I bought the only one @640.00. Yes it is stout with 125gr 357 mag but found that my gun really likes Federal 125gr 38sp+P SJHP. This is the same bullet that is in the full house 357mag load. It produced about 800fps from the 2 1/2" barrel and 3" groups@25ft. The recoil with this load was about the same as shooting my Gunsite Lightweight 1911 with 45+p.
After about 200rounds I did not even notice the recoil anymore. I love carrying this weapon as I often forget I have it on. Some of My holsters wigh more than the gun.