S&W .38 Model 40

SaberOne

Ok, I’m sorta new on this forum although I’m certainly not new to revolvers or guns in general. Still, I’ve never owned an S&W Model 40 which some have referred to as a lemon squeezer. Actually, it doesn’t appear to be very popular at all, since I couldn’t find any threads about this particular model. Ok, so I'm not so great at using this pithy search engine, which is about as robust and modern as a toothpick. Anyway, I have an option to buy one so I was simply curious.
Regards, :eek:

45_Shooter

They're a good classic weapon, although heavy and most consider the grip safety to be unnecessary. They're sure pretty though.

Personally I like the airweights for carry, but in a belt holster the M40 would likely work fine and look better doing it. If all you're after is avoiding the internal lock system, there were a couple new runs of j-frame .38's last year without the lock that can still be found.

The Model 640 is actually the stainless sucesssor to the M40 (prior to it's reintroduction), and is chambered in .357 magnum.

SaberOne

Thanks for the input! I already have a 642-P which I thought I would like, but don’t. I have a 640 on order and it will become my hip carry. In fact, it’s a couple ounces heavier than the model 40, and I'm Ok with that. The only alloy revolver I like is the "hard to find" Colt Cobra. BTW: Actually, the grip safety does appeal to me quite a bit. I suppose this goes back to my HK P7 ~
Regards, :eek:

Last edited: