S&W .38 leading problems?

Mike38

I’m not much of a revolver guy. Any handgun I’ve owned up to about 4 years ago was a semi auto. I inherited two revolvers, a Ruger Single Six .22 and a Smith & Wesson J frame round butt .38 special. I took the S&W out for the first time last weekend, just to see if it would work. Shot 50 rounds of CCI Blazer aluminum cases lead semi wad cutter. The group sizes were okay, but shoots about 6 inches high and 2 inches left at 15 yards. My problem is the lead left in the bore. I’ve been cleaning it a couple times a day for the past week and there’s still lead in the bore. These CCI loads seemed a bit hot to me. Recoil felt way greater then my 92FS or M1911. Both of my semi’s have very smooth mirror like bores, especially the M1911 with a Kart barrel, so cleaning after lead is easy. The S&W has a ruff bore. Is this normal for a S&W? Would you advise I only shoot jacketed ammo? Should I spend some time lapping the bore? Is it the ammo? Thanks.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It is NOT normal for an S&W to have a "ruff" bore, or even a rough bore. You can fire lap the bore if you want to spend the time and ammunition.

I do suggest, though, a gadget called a Lewis Lead Remover, which Brownells sells. They will get the lead out. I am a bit surprised that factory ammo does that; lead bullets are not recommended for any kind of high velocity for the reason that they lead the barrel.

Jim

Casimer

So the leading is new, or was it there originally?

Try a copper pad, like Chore Boy - cut a strip and wrap it around a non-steel brush, and then scrub the bore.

And no, S&W barrels shouldn't be rough, and I'd avoid jacketed ammo until you get that lead out.

Mike38

It is NOT normal for an S&W to have a "ruff" bore, or even a rough bore.

Did I do that? Ruff? Rough? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the bore looked good when I first got it 4 years ago, if memory serves me. I do oil the bores of my seldom used guns a couple times a year, so I don’t think it corroded or rusted over time. The handgun belonged to my Mother, and she may have not taken the best care of it, and left the bore leaded all this time. I’ll try some Chore Boy and see what happens.