S&W 36

Young.Gun.612

Saw a gorgeous specimen today at the LGS, looked to be in good condition not much if any wear in the bluing. Absolutely fell in love with it and I'm strongly considering putting it on layaway.

So my question is, is $600 a good price?

bossman

I like the mod 36 but that sounds high to me,$350 to $ 450 around here. I guess it depends on how bad you want it.

tdrizzle

Yow, 600 is high. You looking at the pawnshop in Richfield by 494? That sounds like their pricing.

Give a look at Gunstop in Minnetonka, they usually have a used M36 in the 400 range.

aarondhgraham

That's a tad high I think,,,

More than a tad high my friend.

Even here in Oklahoma where prices tend to be higher,,,
There is a very nice one at the Evil Pawn Shop right now for $449.00

Here's what the 2010 Standard catalog of Firearms rates it as:

NIB Exc. V.G. Good Fair Poor
575 375 275 200 150 100

Check on gunbroker.com and see what they are going for,,,
Not the asking price but what the auctions have actually got bids for.

Keep looking,,,
You'll find a better deal.

Aarond

BigJimP

Good clean / excellent condition model 36's in my area ...are around $ 450 - $ 500 ... the J frames just aren't that popular in my area.

But maybe the owner figures the condition warrants a premium...

The price will also vary - in most areas - based on which dash number it is ...a no dash or a dash 1 with a heavy barrel ....might demand that premium - and depending on which grips are on the gun as well...

Not all model 36's demand the same price...

Young.Gun.612

Yeah, its the pawn shop on lyndale.

Any tactics for talking them down? Since I did plan on using layaway am I st a disadvantage as far as negotiating?

Shadi Khalil

I would say the layaway certainly puts you at a disadvantage. Anytime I plan on negotiating, I try and have a wad of cash on me. If you told him his price was too high and then plopped $450 down on the counter the dealer may be more inclined to listen to reason.

carguychris

I'm basically on the same page as the other posters, with a caveat.

I could see $600 for a rare variant in legit LNIB / Exc condition, such as a 36 no-dash with a 3" tapered barrel, SB, and nickel finish, a late 1980s M36-6 "Chief's Special Target" with an adjustable rear sight, or a pre-M36, particularly the very early "Baby Chief" with the short grip frame and small trigger guard.

For a run-of-the-mill 2" RB gun, no way. These guns sell in the $375-$425 range around here, although it obviously varies regionally.

Dragline45

I see them used all the time in the $250-$400 range. Ive seen them new in box from $500-$550. $600 is way too high, I wouldn't even step into that shop again.

hairyjames

Hi,

There's an old saying that vintage S&W revolvers are never overpriced . . . but some are offered several years BEFORE they'll attain the asked for price!

The M36 you saw is that way . . . you can buy TWO of 'em for $600 if they have some honest wear. Don't worry about trying to talk that dealer down, he's so far out of line that it is an insult to INFORMED buyers. That dealer is simply holding out for a sucker.

I bought THIS Model 36 locally a five years ago for $350 . . . and this was a "decent" price for a really NICE "flat latch/diamond stock/pinned barrel Model 36 from the early '60s. Today? It would probably go for about $425-$450 . . . and this is a very desirable model.

After 1982 S&W stopped pinning the barrel (that's the little round thing sticking slightly out of the frame just past where the barrel enters the frame.

In 1967-68, they stopped using the wood stocks with the "diamond" on it . . . dropping the diamond but keeping the rest of the look. ALSO S&W fitted their wood stocks to a specific specimen back then and wrote the revolver's serial number on the inside of the right stock! Mine has the original stocks on it . . . raising the value.

In 1966, S&W stopped using the "flat latch" cylinder release. Mine was made in '64.

The finish is really nice . . . in original bright nickel-plate.

THE BAD NEWS . . .
S&W made more little Model 36 "J-frames" than any other gun by a huge margin. They are a dime a dozen and the vintage ones show up all the time in pawn shops and gun stores . . . usually after some grieving widow sells her husband's old "nightstand gun" he once bought and only fired a few times. Heck, mine only cost about $90 new back in the day, so the widow is happy to get $100-$150 bucks from the gun dealer.

These common revolvers are thus never going to command a high price.

MORE GOOD NEWS . . .
The Model 36, and its aluminum framed brother the Model 37 (along with all the J frames) are so concealable and light that they make the ultimate concealed carry revolver! With good technique skills they can be very accurate too, those the short sight radius on any handgun require the shooter to pay attention to perfectly align the sights.

Here's my nice, vintage Model 36 . . . a gun as good today as a new one . . and better finished too!!!

You can see the "flat latch" here. When I see a flat latch with diamond stocks I get a little light-headed and eager to pull out my wallet!
2454701MitchRosenholster.jpg

2448398IMG1154e2.jpg

Accurate too . . . five shots at a tiny 1" black square @ ten yards, standing/unsupported! Great little protector!

2452763IMG2500-e2web.JPG

Hope this helps!

Young.Gun.612

There's no dash number on the tag. So there's that.

When I say little to no wear, I mean this thing is immaculate! Doesn't look showroom new, but I didn't see any wear or scratches at all. Not a flat latch.

I'm considering trying to talk him down, just to see if I can. Maybe if he knows I'm not a sucker I can get him to come down on other stuff. I hope so, I'd like to be able to be a constant patron at a local establishment. But I'm not gonna be taken for a ride.

EDIT: Is there a serial number range to look out for to indicate it could actually be a "rarer" high dollar piece (if such a beast exists...)

Young.Gun.612

Another S&W revolver question.

Is there a blued equivalent of the model 66-1? I saw a stainless one on Gunbroker and thought if it was blue I'd be all over it.

Dragline45

Is there a blued equivalent of the model 66-1? I saw a stainless one on Gunbroker and thought if it was blue I'd be all over it.

Yes sir there is, the model 19 is the same gun as the 66 but in carbon steel with a blue finish, the 66 is stainless. I'm pretty sure they made them in nickel too. So far the best revolver trigger I have ever felt is on a S&W 19 so you cant go wrong with one. Just know that the 19 is a good amount bigger than the 36, it has a 6 shot cylinder opposed to the 5 shots on the 36, and is built on the larger K frame. Also with the K frames you want to stay away from 125gr .357 loads.

Young.Gun.612

How hard are those to find with a snub nose? And what do they usually go for?

Or is there a J frame snub nose .357? I like how concealable the 36 is, but I'd like to be able to shoot .357/.38

Dragline45

I see them in the snub configuration every now and then at my local gun shop. Your best bet is to check gun broker over the next few months and try to find a nice one. Not sure what they are usually going for someone else will have to chime in.

aarondhgraham

Hello hairyjames,,,

You can see the "flat latch" here. When I see a flat latch with diamond stocks I get a little light-headed and eager to pull out my wallet!

So are you saying that my 36-no dash with matching numbered wood grips might be collectable?,,,
Maybe I should stop shooting her and turn her into a safe queen. :D

18-velma.JPG

Not the Diamond grips but these wood grips do have the matching serial number.
VelmaVeldaWood.jpg

I'm just joking about her being a safe queen,,,
Velma will remain in my carry rotation just because I like her.

Aarond

carguychris

How hard are those to find with a snub nose? And what do they usually go for?
They're considerably harder to find than a M36, although they're not rare either. However, they're discontinued and S&W is unlikely to ever reintroduce them, which has caused owners to hang on to them and prices to inflate. In my area, I would figure on $500-$650 if finish is anywhere near decent, $700+ for a legit LNIB/Exc gun.

AFAIK the shortest barrel ever offered by S&W on the M19/66 was 2-1/2". There was also a 3" version that tends to be harder to find and higher-priced because it uses a full-length ejector rod for more positive ejection of .357Mag cases, and fewer were produced.
Just how much bigger than the 36 is the 19?
This is hard to quantify in a post in the Interwebz, but I'll say it this way: K frame guns are large enough that you really can't pocket-carry them unless you're wearing a heavy coat with very large pockets. The main factor is that the grip frame is full-length, i.e. you can easily get your pinky finger on it without using oversize grips (or having unusually small hands).